Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

My pup, Buster, is almost 11 months old. He is part Three Ki Beagle and part Lemon Beagle. We only got him to the woods to hunt bunnies four times. The first time out got him acquainted to the area. Second time, he done a lot of sniffing tracks. Third time out he found his voice and managed to stay on a couple for awhile. Fourth time out started slow. It was not a good day for bunny hunting. The snow was a bit sticky and his bell kept plugging up. Then he got on one but lost it shortly after. Then he got on one and held it for quite awhile before losing it.

Then he got on one and got sidetracked by a deer track (or the deer itself). His tracks ran along side of the deer track and then in the deer tracks. There were four sets of deer tracks. We spent over an hour tracking him down. If it wasn't for his bark, we would never have gotten him back. That deer led him on a long run through the woods, across a snowmobile trail and out to the dirt road. It looked like the deer tried to lose him on the road by going back and forth across the road,

Jim went up an old partially grown in trail and I went down the road and onto another snowmobile trail hoping we could cut him off one way or the other. Jim heard him bark not too far from the trail. He saw where the deer had crossed and went in. He ended up carrying Buster out as he forgot the spare leash. Buster seemed quite pleased with himself but he was one tired pup.

Now, the big question is, "How do we stop him from chasing deer?" Jim said when he was a young lad, his grandfather had told him the only way was with a bullet. I don't want to do that. If I cannot break him of that, he will be a leash dog for the rest of his life with no freedom to run unless we fence in the yard. It would have to be a pretty high fence too as he can jump quite high.

Any ideas anybody?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

I don’t think people actually want the response they would get but dog would definitely think twice about chasing deer once it was hammered home so to speak.

Also this is what I have a bulldog even if he wanted to chase deer after five steps he would decide it’s to much effort.

My dog was really bad and I mean BAD. Chasing everything. Joggers, skateboard, bikers, chipmunks, geese ... I mean everything.
    Got him an e collar, learned how to use it and now I can control every move he makes. He is never on a leash and can stop him on a dime mid chase.
    The only problem is it takes lots of time and effort. Took me about six months. Every day for 2- 3 hours. Started at age 1 and he knew every basic command very well.
    Lots of work but it's worth the effort.

Google "Trash breaking".

It's a very successful method! It's the one time you use the e collar not to reinforce what the dog already knows with as low a stimulation as possible. Nope,,,,in this case you light up the dog without saying a thing. No command. The dog will think the shock comes or is associated with the deer or whatever else you are trying to trash break the dog on,,,,,,porcupine, skunks, bears, badger, or poisonous snakes.

You usually only have to do it once for the animal in question. Sometimes super hard headed dogs may need it done to them twice but I heard it's fairly rare. Done properly the dog will think you had nothing to do with the discomfort it will have endured.

Pick up an E collar, a good brand with a ‘tone’ and a few levels of shock.

Hard part is verifying he’s running deer. So wait for snow. Or go find some out (easier at night). And drop him out right on them. Then shock till he stops or drops.

If you can not break him with an e collar then your grandfathers right.

deer are one of the stinkiest things around and usually sit tight till the dog runs right up on them. Hard not to chase.

You can train him so he comes back to you with the ‘tone’
    Last edited by firebird; 10-03-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    I don’t think people actually want the response they would get but dog would definitely think twice about chasing deer once it was hammered home so to speak.
    Problem with this is you are doing the correcting and the dog knows it’s you. And the smart ones screw off on trash then evade you upon returning or won’t let you catch them at the near road/trail.

with an e collar it’s Zeus lmao

Or get a back deer leg with the gland on it, stand it up and wrap it in wire and hook it to a electric fencer and leave it the backyard to find. Chomping on a hot wired deer leg would also do it.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Or get a back deer leg with the gland on it, stand it up and wrap it in wire and hook it to a electric fencer and leave it the backyard to find. Chomping on a hot wired deer leg would also do it.
    The thing about doing this is you will turn the dog off eating raw deer meat which is something my dog gets quite a bit of. At least when they're on the hoof it's all about the chase, not the meat. I also want my griff to to be able to track lost deer. She's already found one for a friend that spent several hours trying to locate it the night before. The next morning my dog found it in just a few minutes because I went through the process of blood tracking with her from blood I had saved up from a couple of deer I shot in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail1 View Post
    Also this is what I have a bulldog even if he wanted to chase deer after five steps he would decide it’s to much effort.
    Lol got that right, mine likes to chase a ball for 5 steps and let our French bulldog go the rest of the distance to bring it back