Thread: Newbie advice - the wind

Newbie advice - the wind

Deer live and die by their noses. So all you have to do is keep the deer upwind of you, simple right? Unfortunately the wind is a fickle beast. It flows like water over the terrain. Anything that catches its path will cause it to swirl and twirl like water in a broken stream. If you are hunting on the leeward side of a mountain then the wind will swirl around like dervish, altering directions on a dime. Even sitting behind a small object can change the winds flow. Learning the wind and knowing the terrain are important skills for hunters to master, they go hand in hand. It can make for a very frustrating hunt when the wind seems to be swirling this way and that. Definitely not a time to sit still for long periods of time. You’ll notice the same thing happens when clouds roll in creating fog. Clouds make for turbulent winds. Turbulent winds do not mean your hunt is over. They just mean that your chances of catching animals unaware diminishes. You’ll never know if that wind will curl away from the nose of an unfortunate animal. Or if it will wind you, but not know where you are. To top all this off, you’ll need to master the thermals. The cool night air sinks into the valleys creating a flow of air cascading down the mountain sides. When the sun warms the air it will begin to rise, the thermal will shift upslope. This effect will strengthen the more pronounced the shift in temperatures. You will feel it strongest when the prevailing wind is calmer. All these factors work together to create the complete shifting wind picture for the area you are hunting. Knowing the terrain and how different winds affect it is one of those keys to effectively hunting an area. It’s a lot to learn, the first step is to pay attention to your surroundings, try to keep the wind in your face, and hunt well.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie advice - the wind

Definitely not a time to sit still for long periods of time. You’ll notice the same thing happens when clouds roll in creating fog. Clouds make for turbulent winds. Turbulent winds do not mean your hunt is over. They just mean that your chances of catching animals unaware diminishes.

^^^This
    Good advice Brian. I have experienced this as well. Hunting in rolling fog can be very frustrating. Not ideal but Keep moving and see what you can bump.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Also pre scouting in the spring and summer usually have different wind patterns than later in the hunting season. Try to look at different approaches to the same areas,might have to adjust accordingly

I've started using an app called 'windy', it seems fairly accurate. I like to check the wind directions before leaving the house to plan out a hunt.

You should play the wind as best you can and it can be difficult. I hunt small pockets and always have more than one way in. Getting winded especially on a blustery day is not a deal breaker. I find your scent will put them on alert but it is scent plus movement that will send them running particularly at close quarters. A deers senses are so acute I expect them to know I'm there and be watching me. Shot lots of deer standing or in their beds looking right at me. Its always great to see deer coming when they have no clue you're there but in my experience be ready for the ones that do know you're there. Never quit hunting and just start walking no matter what the conditions.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

come full rut... wind, noise and sight isn't as important... but animals don't get big from being dumb

I need to learn more about Thermals !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I go to .. metoblue.com then to wind maps ... gives you a general idea of what the winds are doing thru out any area
    In real time