Thread: Elk numbers around Golden, BC.

Elk numbers around Golden, BC.

Can anyone from Golden share how is the Elk pop in Golden, BC?
    My gf's friend has a property out there, planning on a trip Oct 10-20th. Though I may just do some public land hunting in a better region. Im hearing there's alot of hunting pressure in certain areas.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk numbers around Golden, BC.

There are elk around Golden, but it’s tough hunting and you kinda have to have done your scouting ahead of time to know we’re they are. The terrain in steep and the bush is thick. It’s not like other areas in the east Kootenay. Also, the trans Canada hwy is closed east of Golden so this limits the area to hunt.
    Good luck!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I've traveled thru Golden then down Hwy 93 more than a few times. Never spotted any around Golden Hwy 1 but further south on 93, Canal Flats, a couple young bulls crossed the Hwy once.

Over the years i have seen elk crossing hwy 93, from time to time, between Golden to Invermere.
    Many times i have seen them sitting in private property fields, either at first light and at times thru the day.
    Problem is, even more land has been swallowed up or developed over the years.
    And certain sections along the hwy are "private".
    There seems to be particular "pockets" that these elk like better.
    I certainly cant say that their #'s have gone up and sightings are more so.
    Some areas where i saw them a lot i no longer do and other areas they seem to be showing up now more so.

So, it depends where that property is.

Where is the property located? There is some good elk hunting around Golden. PM me. I lived there 15 years. Know where they are at

Been living here 15ys, work in the bush all around this area and there’s a good reason I go to other areas to hunt elk. Goats on the other hand….

The is no good Elk hunting in Golden not for over 30 years .. NO Moose either .....Go to Elkford.. There has to be Elk in Elkford !
    " Never tell me the Odds "