Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Bull Moose

Re: 2021 Bull Moose

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    was broke off, shot on an LEH
    ah that makes more sense, good angle that hides the break...would've been one cool rack if that was natural
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Nice job Mark, that's awesome...each side of his rack looks like it belongs to a different moose...shed hunters woulda had a heck of a time trying to match those sheds up...
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Last couple days of elk season, a coyote was howling at daybreak, then a pack of wolves lit up about a mile or so away, I began to move that way doing some elk calling . I did a few calf elk calls, when a lone wolf howled from across a meadow . It was a deep howl, mature wolf . I howled and then took this video

I did some pup yelps on my elk diaphragm call . The pack goes silent - A few minutes later I spot something across the meadow on the edge of the spruce. I crank the scope to 12x and have a peek. Two grey wolves standing there frontal They’re on the other side of the the creek, I doubt they’d cross and come closer . I had no rest , off hand 165 yards frontal. Shot felt good but no bullet impact smack . Crossed a Beaver dam and had a look around. No sign of hit. The wolves had moved off a few hundred yards and still howling. Pretty cool experience, would of only been better if my shooting was up to snuff
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

That evening we headed out to a different spot looking for moose, my partner had an LEH to fill. We were walking along a road looking for moose tracks when a bull elk ripped a bugle a 1/4 mile away on a ridge. He Sounded FIRED UPPP! We get the wind right, he bugles a few More times on his own. He’s about 400y across a lake I can’t get around it. We set up and I give a cow call . Euuuuuurrrrreeuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhh Every time I cow called he would bugle, but not come. Usually I would be beating feet getting closer to him, but I didn't feel like going swimming. My partner has about 6 minutes of patience for a cow calling strategy , So he signals for me to bugle. I chuckled with a long string of fast paced chuckles . Crickets....then Euuuuuurrrrreeuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhheeeeuuuuuuuuuuuu rrrrrrgeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuugh euk euk euk euk euk euk uk uk uk uk , the bull bugled back . I waited about 90 seconds , I give a moan with my voice through the bugle tube...... Euuuuuurrrrreeuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhheeeeeuuuuuuuuuu ueeeeuuuuuu euk euk uk uk uk Next bugle he was noticeably closer , Then a cow vocalizes . I can hear an elk splashing in the edge of the water, but the willow is too thick. Every time he would bugle I’d give him a few cow calls. He was on other side of lake . I was in cut block on with strip of blowdown timber on my side of lake. Over two hours we had a conversation, he probably bugled a hundred times. Seen 5 cow elk but the bull never stepped out in the open

The next morning we were back. Hiked 5km from the truck, seen a couple cow moose and a calf. Made some elk calls by the lake trying to locate the bull elk from the night before, but no luck. We made a couple Cow moose calls and stopped for a sandwich. Is there any better hunting tactic than sitting down and having a sandwich? It has to be one of the best. We start slogging back to truck, going only a few hundred yards when my partner says “there’s a moose!” it's a few hundred yards out In cut block on hill It’s moving , Quartering to us. Looked like a small bull but it was quickly out of sight. We head down road the get the wind in our favor, we hadn't gone far when we see a moose coming our way, it's indeed a small bull. It's coming straight at us , I'm ranging it 200y, 125y, 75y...we are set up with his rifle on the tripod. Small Bush between us and moose, It’s just walking in and grunting almost every step . Finally it clears the last bush obstructing a shot, frontal 40 yards. booom goes the 300 Win Mag, the bull falters and go down In 2 steps. Very fast kill! 168gr Barnes TTSX did a great job with minimal damage to the meat

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Mr Bartell and partner . Way to get it done ! More meat for the freezer !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I was greeted to a individually wrapped butter tart on the dash of the truck as I got picked up by Tex Williams. It was going to be a great day. We waited for day light, and slowly drove in , stopping to glass often . We spot a moose 700 yards out, it’s a nice bull and a cow . We get out and begin our stalk

We have the wind at our back , it’s breezy enough to cover any noise of us walking on the frozen road . Bull is at our 2 o’clock , standing there alert, but not focused on our direction . I instruct Tex to chamber a round in his custom Les Bowman Tikka 280-338wm - A couple hundred yards from the truck we hear a moose running off close to us, it’s a cow . We continue on , slowly getting closer to the bull. When we get 380 yards the bull turns 180 degrees and walks away slowly, disappearing into the brush. The road bends and heads toward the moose, so we slow our approach and get ready. We get to the best vantage point and stop. I was thinking of making a cow call when I spot movement through the birch trees on the cutblock ridge above us. A bull moose is walking up the hill away from us. We get the tripods ready and rifles up, as the bull turns and steps into the open, broadside. Tex Willams sends a 160gr Nosler Accubond @ 3035 FPS on its way . The bullet smacks on impact , the bull lurches ahead a few yards and stops. Blood is pouring down Tex's nose from the devastating crushing blow from his leupold eye piece . He’s dazed, struggling to reload his rifle . Luckily the bull’s chest was filling up with gallons of blood, and he piles up in a few seconds . Shortly after the bull goes down, a larger bull and the cow come trotting out of the brush. I had to triple check that there was a dead bull on the ridge haha. The end

Buddy way to bring it home!!

Oh man your putting moose on the endangered species list LOL !
    Scope bite can really smart , I know from experience !
    Arctic Lake

got my euro back, great job by Travis at Blackwater Skull Works here in Vanderhoof - https://www.facebook.com/BlackWater-SkullWorks

I really like euro mounts ! That one included ! My two largest moose racks are done the old way with a patch of material in between the two sides . They look good but a euro is the way to go in my opinion !

Arctic Lake