Hey Folks!
I’m a GSP puppy dad in a few months (hopefully) and I couldn’t be more excited and nervous. This will be my first ever dog so this will be a learning experience for everyone and I’m hoping to pick your brains for a minute.
I really enjoy upland hunting, I’m an avid waterfouler, and I do enjoy deer hunting. Already I’m wondering if these three would be too much for one dog to learn. I know the importance of the basic commands and social norms and hope to instill them in my puppy early on so we can build a strong bond.
I’ve YouTubed things, read some online articles, and watched some videos in the generic sense but now I have some tough specific questions. Like is training with live birds necessary? I live in the Sea to Sky so there’s not a lot places to go that aren’t filled with tourists. And if training with live birds is necessary, how does one go about training? Another; how does one teach a pointer to point?
I’m sure I have a ton more questions once I start wrapping my head around it and I’m grateful for any advice. Also a leads/recommendations on a gun dog trainer who does workshops in the weekends will be welcome

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!
-Tigger