Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iHunter

iHunter

OK so I got the update in iHunter (including the ability to cache maps for offline use) I was able to download an area but I can't seem to find the cached map. Does the cached map just show up when your out of service and in the area? Or is it hiding somewhere I haven't discovered yet?
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: iHunter

It just shows up.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Wondered about that. Thanks

Showed up when you're out of service !

It shows up as if you're online. However keep in mind that you have to be on the same map AND zoomed to the same zooming you were online. In other words, if offline you zoomed closer than you were online or zoomed out further than you were online, it won't show up.

So, what I do is when I find an area that I want to hunt, while online, I zoom in to the desired zoom, leave the app on that map, so I don't forget which map I cached in, and then when in area, turn on the app, zoom in or out and voila it appears.

Hope that helps.........Don
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    It shows up as if you're online. However keep in mind that you have to be on the same map AND zoomed to the same zooming you were online. In other words, if offline you zoomed closer than you were online or zoomed out further than you were online, it won't show up.

So, what I do is when I find an area that I want to hunt, while online, I zoom in to the desired zoom, leave the app on that map, so I don't forget which map I cached in, and then when in area, turn on the app, zoom in or out and voila it appears.

Hope that helps.........Don
    was excited for this feature, may have actually started making this app useful if you are anything but a truck and road hunter, but alas it’s a convoluted crap offering. Thanks for saving me the time.

iHunter has a youtube video showing you how to cache maps

although I have both apps, i typically use Hunt Buddy most often in the field (I have issues with iHunter crapping out while recording my tracks)......but with HB you can select which area you want to download (on certain maps, I use the GeoBC topo), and select the detail level, so for spots I frequent often I cache the highest level of detail in advance
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

BRvalley how long have you been using hunt buddy? That’s the first app I tried but quit using it a while back because of freezing / not loading on a regular basis. I assume you haven’t ran into many issues? How’s the interface?

I've been using it since the beginning, I downloaded it the first week it came out.....I use an iPhone, and I do hear reports from friends that HB works better on iOS than it does android

no issues with HB freezing on me, but i have that issue with iHunter, every time I open the app it will be very slow/freeze for the first few mins...Mark is pretty good to email with, but never did resolve why

biggest issue for me is when I'm scouting I like to record my track all day, every road or trail I hike I have my tracks stored....iHunter will always stop recording my track midday, HB will record my track consistently all day long...and then I scout google earth all week at work, and compare to my tracks, see how close I get the truck to areas I want to hike into
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Thanks for the tips. I use to just zoom into the area I was planning to hunt while I had service. I would just scroll along the area up and down till I got the whole area. Worked fine. Just remember to zoom in as close as needed to get a clear map. It seemed to hold it for a couple days. And I never had iHunter freeze on me in 3 years on my iphone & ipad