Thread: Inflatable kayak?

Inflatable kayak?

Hey everyone - really new hunter here, I just started three years ago and really enjoyed waterfowling with my buddy in the Pitt Polder area. Now he’s moved away and taken his boat with him so I’m trying to figure out the best way to continue waterfowling. I live in an apartment in Vancouver so have limited storage space, a boat and trailer isn’t an option. I’m considering an inflatable as it’s light and easy to store, but I’m concerned about durability/puncture resistance. Does anyone have any experience waterfowling with an inflatable, is it even feasible, or is the molded plastic on-top style kayak the way to go? I’ve been looking at the Aquaglide chinook 120 and the Sevylor Coleman Colorado. I’m about 250 with all my stuff on if that helps. Thanks! Ps also interested in meeting people to hunt with

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Inflatable kayak?

I have experience fishing in an inflatable and it's doable.
    I have much the same space problems and I had a sea eagle inflatable, now I have another inflatable with a small minn kota
    Most inflatable boats die at the seams rather than from puncture wounds.
    Punctures are easier to repair.
    Naturally you will have to pay attention about what you are bringing on board and what footwear and clothes you wear so as to not damage the boat.\
    But once you get used to that it's all good.
    You can easily find high quality inflatables that are not easily punctured.
    Many have hardwood floorboards that make them rigid.
    Plus small inflatables can also be packed for hunting.
    There are many benefits of having an inflatable.
    Last edited by adriaticum; 10-01-2021 at 07:56 AM.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thunderbuffalo, this season I am going to try this. I am also an apartment dweller in Vancouver. End of summer I purchased an Aquaglide Blackfoot 130 Angler, pretty much their deluxe fishing kayak. It's a hybrid that has two chambers plus a drop stitch floor for the rigid base. Considering that Aquaglide makes kayaks that can take rapids, you can figure that they can stand up to a certain amount of abuse. While I could have looked at their white water inflatables I decided on the fishing kayak because I'm more worried about stability than I am about hitting rocks. Still, you know it has to be a concern so I intend to be very conservative in where I am going; initially just using it to transport me to out of the way places. If you'd like to see it in action please reach out and we can try to connect.

Hey thanks for the information guys, after some consideration I think I’m going to invest in a rigid hull for a durability and ease of maintenance. Silveragent thank you for the invite, when I get set up I am absolutely interested if you want to hit a swamp sometime cheers guys