Thread: Boning Out Deer Backcountry > Sex Identification

Boning Out Deer Backcountry > Sex Identification

Apologies if duplicate thread couldn't find anything in the search; any tips and tricks for keeping these components attached to the carcass if you're boning out a deer to pack it out, anybody had any success or problems? My usual method was to skin the deer and go up the back leg bone to remove the hind quarters as one piece of meat, I think leaving the tail attached should be pretty easy but the testicles generally stay on the pelvis when you're boning out a deer.... seems a little silly to have to do this for a decent backcountry buck but that's the world now after too many "hybrid" does got shot

NOTE: To improve enforceability and simplifyregulations, the option to use antlers to prove sex and species while transporting harvested wildlife is no longer available.Please refer to the section below for thenew requirements while transportingharvested wildlife from the kill locationto a meatcutter, owner or operator of acold storage plant, or the hunters normaldwelling place. A person must, whilereturning from hunting, keep the antlersor horns of wildlife killed during an antler/horn restricted season (e.g., 6 pt, full curl,spike-fork, etc.) and the species licenceunder which the wildlife was killed, togetherand available for inspection by an officer.(1) For caribou, elk or moose, the animal’stail or another readily identifiable part ofthe hide not less than 6 cm2, AND i) If the animal is male, a testicle orpart of the penis,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion ofthe udder or teats.(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND i) If the animal is male, a testicle orpart of the penis,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion ofthe udder and teats.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Boning Out Deer Backcountry > Sex Identification

Delete post

You can carefully split the nuts and leave them attached to the back quarter, or even just leave them together and keep it attached to one leg. Then if you bone it out from there just be careful with that piece of sirloin that has them attached.

This video shows a how to keep it attached at the beginning - https://youtu.be/EdFtwFN5G4A

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    You can carefully split the nuts and leave them attached to the back quarter, or even just leave them together and keep it attached to one leg. Then if you bone it out from there just be careful with that piece of sirloin that has them attached.

This video shows a how to keep it attached at the beginning - https://youtu.be/EdFtwFN5G4A

Awesome thanks, I'll check it out

I find it easier to leave a piece of the penis attached to a deboned rear quarter instead of a testicle. It is more secure.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-30-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post

Exactly right...I know OP what your talking about, it is a pain in the anus to leave them attached when it would be much easier to take them off when skinning prior to de boning, but thems the requirements...I find that I can leave the whole part of the penis and testicles attached as long as I skin wide around them, just like the tail...I've had to do quite a few animals this way....