Thread: Newbie advice - Patience

Newbie advice - Patience

I was out hunting the other day and I was thinking what advice would I give to new deer hunters. Advice that could actually help in the heat of the hunt. Patience is a virtue all good hunters must learn. Our society does not emphasize patience. We move fast, we think fast, we expect fast results. Many times I have been onto a deer in the bush. I could hear it but not see it. Then the noise stops. I wait for what seems like an eternity. That deer must surely have moved off by now I’ll think to myself. I’ll move, make some noise and blow that deer out. Usually it is right next to me. It was waiting patiently and I was not. It will stand there being still and quiet for an amazingly long time! They have no deadlines, they have no where they need to be, they can wait out sunset and well beyond if they feel the need to. That is the mindset you need to adopt. If you sit in tree stands, ground blinds, still hunt, spot and stalk… they all require patience. Slow down, be still, breath, watch, listen, clear your mind and find that inner voice that can help guide your instincts! For me those are best moments in hunting. And if the animal you are onto stops making noise, wait far far far longer than you think you need to. I still make that mistake. Hope it helps.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie advice - Patience

You got that right.....

Great advice for new hunters and all hunters to be honest. I get impatient at times as well. Thanks for the reminder to be patient, to enjoy the hunt. Getting a animal is the bonus!!!

I have always seen more game while sitting, than while walking.
    Maybe I'm just a bull in china shop.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach