Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP .... Recurve draw weight ???

HELP .... Recurve draw weight ???

Ive been bow hunting since 1987 but always with a compound bow. My grandson is 16 and is going to build his own RECURVE bow in woodworking class. Can you recurve users please educate us on a useable hunting draw weight? (we know it has to be min of 40). Hes an average male size and loves hunting and fishing so for him this is his next step on that hunting journey!! Thanks for your knowledge and time!! Tomahawk
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HELP .... Recurve draw weight ???

thats awesome maybe try a lighter weight to get proficient,then make a heavier one later. something i have been thinking about,keep us updated

I'm not sure starting light and working up is necessary. If he targets a 50lb bow and as you say he's an average guy, he'll have no problem learning to shoot it and then advancing to hunting.

Most bows, especially recurve or long bow are rated poundage at a given draw length, usually 29 inches. Say the bow is 50# @ 29" and your draw length is 27", the you would expect a poundage at that draw length to be 45#. Conversely, if the draw length is 31", then the assumption is the poundage will be 55#. That means or equates to approximately 2½ # per inch. He will have to factor in brace height too. Short brace height will lead to scuffed wrists.
    He will have to find some hardwood with no twist to build with. Softwood will not cut it. He will have to make a jig and steaming vessel to get the limbs to curve. It should be interesting to see the outcome. Might be a better idea to start with a simpler longbow design.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Most bows, especially recurve or long bow are rated poundage at a given draw length, usually 29 inches. Say the bow is 50# @ 29" and your draw length is 27", the you would expect a poundage at that draw length to be 45#. Conversely, if the draw length is 31", then the assumption is the poundage will be 55#. That means or equates to approximately 2½ # per inch. He will have to factor in brace height too. Short brace height will lead to scuffed wrists.
    He will have to find some hardwood with no twist to build with. Softwood will not cut it. He will have to make a jig and steaming vessel to get the limbs to curve. It should be interesting to see the outcome. Might be a better idea to start with a simpler longbow design.
    Good refresher, thanks. What is a comfortable draw weight to hold on stick bows? My compound is 65 lbs but with cams I hold way less. I'm most curious on what weight is comfortable to hold, for the average hunter with a recurve, till they are able to release the arrow?
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

i have a 45 pound bow with a 29.5 draw so around 47 pounds.i dont find it to be that hard to hold steady

Depending of the conditions of the shoulders. If one has the onset of bursitis, then holding 45# is going to be problematic (experience speaking here). It's not so much the draw arm shoulder, it's the arm holding the bow. The force reacting back at the shoulder. Even drawing a 55# bow with 85% let-off is going to be difficult. It boils down to getting over the peak and the shoulders will let you know.
    For me, I now shoot a crossbow with a cocking crank.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The standard draw length for rating recurves and longbows is at 28”, but some bows, especially customs, are rated at other lengths.
    Depending on his experience with a recurve, starting lower and getting his form right and working up in poundage from there is normally advised. Being overbowed is a big killer to correct form and enjoyment.

1st recurve rated at 40# but my draw length shorter so pulling less, no problem to hold. I don't hold long though, release fairly quickly after coming to my full draw. I shoot instinctive, no sight. No experience with compounds but from what I've seen the technique is to hold quite long while lining up the sight picture. I now have a take down recurve with 50# rated limbs. This puts me within legal weight for hunting most game at my draw length.

I shoot a 55# recurve, but I would suggest starting with around a 50# draw weight, plenty enough to hunt with and he'll be able to hold it at full draw for longer, therefore gaining proficiency easier...