Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 30 years ago this week....

Re: 30 years ago this week....

Very epic story. Thanks for sharing

Hmm wouldn't have expected anything less Ken..well done and shared.
    Thank you.wonderful adventure..the trophies although wonderful truly are secondary to the adventure.
    Cheers
    Steven

Awesome..just awesome. Thanks for sharing the story

Thanks for sharing - great story and photos!

Awesome experience. Been hunting for over 12 years now and just joined the forum. Don't have a joke for my first post, so instead I just wanna say thx for sharing this experience with all of us.
    Member BCWF

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing!

Brings back memories. Great story, great hunt.

Thanks to all for the comments! We need more of this content!

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    I am an old man now but you brought back some good memories for me. I have been in there a few times and recognize all the places on your pictures. It really is a nice place, back then not many people got to go in there and it was very peaceful except when the guide came through with his clients, when we bumped into them we would have a chit chat and a lot of his American clients were in aw of the place. anyway thanks for the memories. Steve!
    Hey Steve, thanks for comment. You remined me of another time we were in there and we could here this loud voice coming down the rail...Whoa Boy, Whoa Horse, Nice Horse being repeated over and over. Finally the guide came down the trail with two "Clients" one of who doing the yelling. He was leaning over the saddle and trying to hang on to the reins as close as he could to the horses head The guide had the biggest grin on his face and as we stopped to chat, he turned to client and said "either get off the horse and walk or shut up!!" I will never forget that! The whole time he was smiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Great share SS!
    Thanks for taking us back with you!

30 years…wow! Time sure does fly, eh?
    Surprised you’re not back celebrating in those same mountains right now!

Great story!

SSS
    Thanks Brent, time sure does fly!! It just seems like yesterday and that sheep will always be remembered for not only being the first, but also for being the driver to do more!! It really pushed me to want to explore the North!! As for going back, the old knees will not let me go back, at least not up. Maybe sideways. I have wanted to and might still, but right now it is not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    well done, great tale of olden times )
    Beauty rams
    I still have a pair of the same German army surplus wool pants that Newbie wore
    Wonder if anyone ever sang a song of 'finding a Horse With No Name and a bell
    Thanks Boxhitch for reminding

A couple other things I forgot to mention

The Horse! It seemed that it was hobbled but would not let us get close. When we left with the canoe, it was standing on the beach watching us. The next year, I ran onto the G/O at the time and asked him about the horse. He told me that it had come up lame while back in the mountains and they made the decision that it would not survive the pack trip out. So the put a big loud cow bell around it's neck and left it to fend for itself. The next spring they went in to do some clean up and there was the horse, no worse for wear, but very skittish at first. The horse soon joined the pack and was back to packing or being rid. The bell is supposedly well known to the preds of the valley and they hoped that it would keep the wolves at bay, which apparently it did!

Lack a Nookie Lodge was a great place to stay when we needed to....But it had the biggest population of mice!! And we had no traps. Every nigh we would get woke up to them fighting, trying to dig into our stash of food or them running across your face! It was an adventure just to get sleep!!

Glad everyone is enjoying the old story!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

What an amazing adventure! I loved every minute of it. It would be great as a short storey in a book of hunting tales.

Great story and well written.
    really enjoyed that.