The next morning we woke up, grabbed some oatmeal for breakfast and headed back up….remember we still had our sheep up there. With no drive, a lack of sleep and being tired from the night before, it took us an extra hour to reach the sheep.

We studied the kill site and where we had stashed the sheep and saw nothing but ravens, no bears and no wolves. We took our time getting our packs loaded and set up because we now had a ram head and cape as well as the front quarters, rib and neck meat and our gear to pack out. Then we took our time heading down. I think we started with 200 yards, then rest, then it went to 100 yards and rest. Legs burning, lungs screaming and feet hurting, we stumbled back to camp late that afternoon. We finally had time to admire the rams.

My Ram

Newbie's Ram

Note how small the door is, makes it tough for a bear to push the door in as they can't stand up and use their full weight.

We were sore but it was fully worth it!! We were on cloud nine!! I went to the river beside camp and soaked my feet for an hour in the cold water; it really helped. We ate like kings that night!! Sheep tenderloin with KD and Crown!! To this day, that was the best wild game I have ever had, and it was extra special because of the accomplishments we had done!