Thread: Taking my 9 year old out this weekend. Any grouse in the Princeton area?

Taking my 9 year old out this weekend. Any grouse in the Princeton area?

I gave him his choice of a few areas, one of which was the family cabin in 5-1 which I was hoping he would pick because I know there are lots of grouse. He picked the Princeton area because elk are open lol. I’ve had him out grouse hunting but this will be the first time I bring something bigger than a .22 just in case.

What are the grouse like in the area? Obviously we will be sticking close to the truck.

Any advice you have for keeping it fun for a 9 year old would be appreciated. I can bring the travel trailer or a tent. If we take the tent I can bring an atv and we can camp a bit more remote. I might be able to finish my stove by then so the tent would be warm. Any recommendations on a camp site?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Taking my 9 year old out this weekend. Any grouse in the Princeton area?

There are grouse everywhere. You won’t have a problem finding them in Princeton

Grouse populations are high this year, Grouse have a pretty varied population cycle so some years are lean...this year they seem to be on the high side for sure.

Bring lots of .22 amo, and try to pick a camping spot where he can shoot safely.
    My Grandson is 9 also, with a savage rascal single shot he could go through a box of 50 before I could have lunch ready.
    A few Zombie targets for a .410 were a hit also. Have fun!!

Just be aware that a 9yr old is not permitted to hunt wildlife in BC.

My buddy was up there all last week.
    There are grouse to be had if one takes the time.

Thanks guys. I will be doing the shooting.
    I know Princeton is a zoo this time of year so I’m trying to convince him to go to the cabin but he does have his heart set on camping. He even thought we were going to hike in to camp and really wanted to go lol.

I just got back from Princeton on an Elk hunt. The grouse are plentiful but they're quick. Not the dumb ditch-chickens of years past. Window of opportunity is under 3 seconds.