Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spike moose question

Spike moose question

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on this forum! Hope everyone is well.
    Easy question I hope.
    Do spike forks tend to stay around the cows later in the season?
    And from people’s experiences, during the Nov hunt in the southern bc units, do you tend to find them by water/ typical spots, or on sides of mountains in aspen forest?

I have cameras on both these areas by my place and got moose in both, just want to spend my time wisely this November.

thanks to anyone who answers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spike moose question

An immy will respond to a cow call late season in hopes of tapping a late estrus cow.
    Young and dumb and full of well you know.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

That’s what I’ve heard. Going to put some effort this season for an immy then I usually do

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    An immy will respond to a cow call late season in hopes of tapping a late estrus cow.
    Young and dumb and full of well you know.
    Yes, and avoid any bull calls as they will be tired and scared from being pushed around during Oct. Spikers are only 3% of the population but I hope you tag one, good eats and good luck!
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

They are around, once the bulls are scraping sometimes they go in hoping to get lucky but fat chance, they are opportunists but they won’t succeed as they are calves with horns, or like a 13 year old with his first stick and hot shower.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Late October 2019 before spike season in this MU. I was deer hunting & spotted this group. Cow, calf & spiker. I was about to pack it in, getting cold sittng there, so decided to see how close I could get. I got within 20 yds of the cow. Calf & spiker had disappeared. The cow noticed me but didn't spook, kept feeding. I headed left into the woods to find the trail back.

My experience is after the rut (Sept-Oct) many bulls will form bachelor groups. In November and Dec it's not uncommon to see a group of bulls together. Bulls are done the rut in November, so calling won't do you much good....the odd young bull may respond to a female call though in hopes of mating but it's not a sure thing as we all know. Spike moose aren't all that plentiful depending on the region, you're more likely to find a moose with a fork on one side than a spike - good luck.

I would favor a south facing slope with a 5 to 7 year old re-growth on it. A high timber line would be an added bonus. Moose will come out a little after dawn to browse and catch some heat from the sun and then retreat back into the timber at day's end.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Once Oct 20 ish....arrives the big old bulls are weary in well doing. .once the open cows come into second estrus..the smaller bulls start singing put me in coach I'm ready to play...with limited competition they can indeed be found with the cows..
    Big old bulls will stop with the mating and start with the chowing down..up to 40 pounds of browse each day trying to survive oncoming winter.
    Srupp

Similar question. I have located a spike bull in region 3 which has spike-fork season starting November 1. Is it worth going back to the area he could be found in this month? Is he more than likely to be elsewhere? If you had a September location for a Spike fork how would you let it inform your hunting?
    Last edited by JIL_24/7; 09-29-2021 at 03:32 PM.