Thread: New Gun Dog Owner

New Gun Dog Owner

Hi all,

I am new to the gun dog world with a 9 month old Griffon. We are currently living in Kelowna and would love some guidance and mentorship.

I am familiar with several gun dog trainers throughout the province, but am really keen on figuring out how to train and nurture my pup myself. I have been reading books and gaining as much knowledge as I can through YouTube etc., but am still very much a rookie in the gun dog world. As we do not have a local NAVHDA- I am finding it somewhat difficult to meet others in the gun dog world.

I am wondering if anyone in the Okanagan area would be keen to link up to provide some mentorship and guidance. My dog and myself included would be very appreciative! We are both young and keen to hunt birds!

Any additional suggestions are very welcome, cheers- JMN

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Gun Dog Owner

My favorite gun dog training book: https://www.amazon.ca/How-Help-Dogs-.../dp/0963012746

Hey. Welcome to the Griff world.

I know it’s a little far, but Calgary has a navhda chapter. Prairie vista. They are all very knowledgeable. I have a 14 month old pup and they’ve been nothing but helpful. I live in the east koots.

where is your pup from? I’m always keen talking to other Griff owners. This is also our first hunting pup so learning as I go so far it’s been a rewarding experience.

Hey HMR,

Sorry for the late reply on this. My Griff is some a breeder in Ontario, pretty small kennel but some great dogs. Thanks for the info on the Navhda chapter, I would be keen to get out there sometime for some training. If we are every in the same neck of the woods, it would be sweet to get the pups out together for some training or a hunt.

Cheers - JNM

Join NAVHDA. Sucks that BC doesn't have a chapter. The gas money and time you'll spend traveling back and forth is some of the best you'll spend.

Thanks Danny,

That's good advice- I will definitely look at the calendar to make it happen. It would be great to get a likeminded group to start a Navhda here in BC!

It is definitely good advice. I'd never owned a pointer before and learned so much from going through NAVHDA. It's also alot of fun. Would definitely be cool of there was some sort of facility in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by JNISH View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to the gun dog world with a 9 month old Griffon. We are currently living in Kelowna and would love some guidance and mentorship.

I am familiar with several gun dog trainers throughout the province, but am really keen on figuring out how to train and nurture my pup myself. I have been reading books and gaining as much knowledge as I can through YouTube etc., but am still very much a rookie in the gun dog world. As we do not have a local NAVHDA- I am finding it somewhat difficult to meet others in the gun dog world.

I am wondering if anyone in the Okanagan area would be keen to link up to provide some mentorship and guidance. My dog and myself included would be very appreciative! We are both young and keen to hunt birds!

Any additional suggestions are very welcome, cheers- JMN
    I'm on the coast but I will be coming up to Kelowna mid March to visit my kids/grandkids. My griff is always in tow. I'll meet up with you for a jaunt to a field with the dogs so we can discuss training, retrieving drills, etc.

That would be awesome @mastercaster. Send me a PM when you are coming this way and we can link up, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jeff