Thread: A short Knife review

A short Knife review

For a lot of years I’ve used nothing but a Gerber Gatormate to deal with animals. Gut, gutless, skin, quarter, debone, etc,, with no complaints at all. Dozens and dozens of big game animals. Last year I realized that for some reason I didn’t have a knife fetish and thought I better change that. This year I carried a Benchmade Altitude knife. It is a fixed blade minimalist design, with only two small scales on the thin handle for grip. Carried first on our sheep hunt but did not have any success, but last week I used it to debone a Caribou bull and I was very happy with it. At first I thought the slim handle might be a problem for this work but I was very surprised how good and secure it felt in my hand. I was working with my son and teaching him as we went, but did wind up doing most of it with this knife. It also held an edge very well and I didn’t have to touch it up at all during the work. I’ll definitely be keeping this one.
    https://imgur.com/a/FIFa6E4

I also have a Small Northern Hunter made by LT. Wright that I’m going to use on anything else I shoot this year to try it out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A short Knife review

Thanks for this . A good knife is so important and very hard to find.

Best value is a Swedish Mora knife,costs about $10 ...and that’s on the advice of my hunting partner who is a surgeon..he leaves his good knives at home and carries a Mora knife..about the only other tool I carry is a drywall ‘stab’ knife...ideas for splitting the pelvis, sternum and any other backbone cuts
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-14-2021 at 10:45 AM.

I’m glad that knife worked out for you !
    Chuck
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Looks more like a throwing knife to me, I’m a big fan of a good finger guard. And the lost art of leather washer handles.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Best value is a Swedish Mora knife,costs about $10 ...and that’s on the advice of my hunting partner who is a surgeon..he leaves his good knives at home and carries a Mora knife..about the only other tool I carry is a drywall ‘stab’ knife...ideas for splitting the pelvis, sternum and any other backbone cuts
    A bit more nowadays, $25 I think. I’ve only had it 35 years and about 50 moose. The belt loop on the case wore out, should I send it back for warranty?
    Last edited by MRP; 10-14-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I’m glad that knife worked out for you !
    Chuck
    Thanks. I’m glad you decided to part ways with it
    I was surprised how good it felt deboning the caribou. I was thinking of trying the Argali Carbon knife if I didn’t like the Altitude. Now there’s no need.