Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie questions about deer signs and what to do

Re: Newbie questions about deer signs and what to do

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I have never had any luck rattling, I try it a few times every year but am never able to get anything to come in. It’s strange some people swear by it for blacktails and others like myself get nothing. What I have had tremendous success with is mouth calling a snort wheeze after being snorted at myself. Just mirror their calls. It can bring those deer right back to you (as long as they snorted first), and I have gotten bucks moving with mouth calling doe in heat grunts.
    I think I have only been grunted at 3x in my life

Been huffed at by a lot of does until I learned how to mitigate that (proguide tips)

I'll try tickling a rattle set from a pair of antlers that came from that area from a few different spots and see if anything comes of it. Science experiment! (That is only conclusive if successful )
    Last edited by caddisguy; 09-30-2021 at 12:12 AM.

I have, but its been hit or mostly miss!
    Younger deer generally pop their heads out to look.
    Think by that point the bigger boys have their heads too far up a doe's behind to hear.
    Same goes for grunts etc, but actually have caused deer to bolt more times than not, but certainly not "Walk towards me".

This all could be "Timing" related.
    A little too late in the season possibly or for some too early???
    See it work on TV, but not so much "in person".
    But then again, others burp or rattle and have experiences that say it works.

Figured I'd bump this thread since things are about to start to heat up.

I came up empty in bow season and spent most of September playing cat and mouse with the only buck (a tiny fork) in the area.

Virtually no activity until the last couple weeks. At least a dozen different does, mostly mature and one huge two point that I believe to be older and regressive (chubby, saggy and dwarfs most 4pt racks and body mass) The migratory crowd is coming back even despite snow and they are sticking around.

They are sticking around and using the area. Starting in the next week or so until the end of the season, should be a lot of activity with bucks cruising and pestering the does 24/7 creating all sorts of movement beyond the "most of October" short bed to feed and feed to bed in the cover of complete darkness movements.

Can't wait to get back out this weekend. Might even end up being able to finish the season hunting full time, depending on what my company decides. Misalignment between their wants/needs and mine. I'm firm and financially comfortable (can be a bum for a year no problem) Just awaiting a decision. Will ask for an update tomorrow. Rather get my two weeks in sooner than later if a split is inevitable. Hopefully we can work it out (I like the company and working there) BUT if it comes to it and I have the extra time, I'm going to film as much as I can to show a fraser valley thick timber deer hunt from start to finish, sign, methodology and all that good stuff. I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm sure many other beginners will find it useful. Either way I'll try to film as much as I can with whatever little or ample time I end up with.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-20-2021 at 10:11 PM.