Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose calling help

Question Moose calling help

I live out in the country in the peace region.

My buddy’s land I have permission on I’ve been seeing a lot of sign so I threw a salt block down and put a camera on it near some of the sign.

Within a couple nights I checked the camera and saw something pretty promising !

https://imgur.com/a/2w4TJAh (Ignore the date and time the camera didn’t have it set. Both videos are one day after the other close to midnight.)

Big boy ! Ten points on one side which makes him legal up here.

Never had much luck calling but I’d love to learn to bring this big guy in.

I know we are a bit early in the rut so trying to find some info on the right calls to do. Some sites say it is a bit early for full on cow mating calls and I might have a bit better luck with bull grunts etc.

Anyone have any advice that could help? Never taken a moose that big so it would be quite a thrill!

Thanks

Edit: I’d be set up across a creek in a spot I can see 100 yards in a few directions.
    Last edited by anethema; 09-24-2021 at 04:19 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose calling help

Nice habitat, check YouTube for videos on calling moose to get an idea. Try to wait 20 minutes between sets of cow calls. Every bull is different and so are the conditions, so what works for one won't necessarily work for another. Experience is the best teacher so get out and let them teach you. You will begin to recognize when to switch to grunts (if he hangs up) or call in the opposite direction to make it sound like you're moving off. Raking an old shoulder blade on willows can be a good way to bring in stubborn bulls if grunts don't work either. Listen, I'm always surprised how many people can't hear faint grunting.
    Last edited by Stillhunting; 09-24-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I'd be cow calling to get his interest, then I'd see where that would take me. If he hangs up, then maybe a few bull grunts with some raking of trees? He probably has some cows rounded up already, and will want to tend them till they reach estrus, then mate. He may be a bit shy right now! He is a dandy, I'll be looking for one just like him tomorrow!! Watch your wind, he may look dopey, but they don't get big being stupid!! Good luck. Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Thanks guys I will try more. Been doing cow calls now with 15-20 mins in between.

So far no bites but maybe I missed his grunting. I will keep at it. Only been able to do evenings so far due to work but might have Sunday off to do a morning except it’s supposed to rain ��

I dont think the moose will mind the rain!! Do not be aggressive with the calls, keep the cow calling going to keep him close. Also remember he may sneak right in behind you and not make a sound, so put your back up against something he cannot come through or has to make noise to do it. Hopefully there is cow sign in there as well or he may leave to go find them.

XPEIER

Shot one last week in the Peace region. Raking was working well, they come in cautious and quiet

PATIENCE! Return to the same spot and keep calling every 10-15 minutes! When they get a hard on they are just like you at 16!

Exclamation Re: Moose calling help

You Threw a Salt block down ? I believe Baiting game animals for Hunting is Illegal in our Province

Quote Originally Posted by anethema View Post
    I live out in the country in the peace region.

My buddy’s land I have permission on I’ve been seeing a lot of sign so I threw a salt block down and put a camera on it near some of the sign.

Within a couple nights I checked the camera and saw something pretty promising !

https://imgur.com/a/2w4TJAh (Ignore the date and time the camera didn’t have it set. Both videos are one day after the other close to midnight.)

Big boy ! Ten points on one side which makes him legal up here.

Never had much luck calling but I’d love to learn to bring this big guy in.

I know we are a bit early in the rut so trying to find some info on the right calls to do. Some sites say it is a bit early for full on cow mating calls and I might have a bit better luck with bull grunts etc.

Anyone have any advice that could help? Never taken a moose that big so it would be quite a thrill!

Thanks

Edit: I’d be set up across a creek in a spot I can see 100 yards in a few directions.

Hey that looks like exactly where I am. Even the leaves look the same !

Quote Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
    You Threw a Salt block down ? I believe Baiting game animals for Hunting is Illegal in our Province
    Only in Region 4 due to CWD