Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2021 Elk Hunt: the challenge bugle

Re: My 2021 Elk Hunt: the challenge bugle

So we're running out of food so we pack up camp back on our packs, but before we leave my buddy says "lets do one final location bugle in this basin" I was planning on it as we headed down the mountain so I let one rip....20 to 30 seconds later...we get a response...

We quickly drop our packs and grab just our binos, rangefinders, rifles of course, & my spotting scope & bugle....we run down the ridgeline towards where the bugle came from and the bull sounds off again, this time with several chuckles - both my partner and I get shivers down our spines as we rip across the ridge cutting the distance... then we get eyes on him through the timber, were hugging a tree on the top of the ridge to hide our silhouette, while bugling back and forth with this bull, the initial location bugle now transformed into challenge bugles, each one with more emotion as he draws closer...

I have to get into a shooting position then count tines and get this bull into a shooting location, but I have to get him closer through the timber so I can count tines easier and then potentially get a shot off...but he has his eyes scanning our location, looking for us - the other bull....so I get prone and elbow crawl onto this rocky outcrop, all the while bugling at him to try and draw him closer...but then he stops, that is, until he starts letting another bugle out and I rudely interrupted him by bugling right over top of him - that pisses him off & he steps closer, into a shooting lane through the timber, though not leaving the timber....

I have a narrow shooting window, right through a spot between branches at just over 200 yards...Ok, and he's not moving, now I count tines....I think I count 6 but very hard as he won't turn his head for me but I think I count 6...."buddy! I have a shooting window and I think I count 6, do you count 6 DO YOU COUNT 6?" I quickly say...the bull then slightly turns his head, enough for my buddy to reply "I have 6 I count 6 tines! - OK, I'm going to take the shot I reply....

I ease before taking the shot now, just focusing on the target and my breathing - getting into that calm shooting mode......all I had to aim for was through his neck and into his boiler room...BOOM..the .30-06 shooting 180 grainers roars, the bull instantly gets up on his hind quarters and falls to one side "F&#KING NAILED HIM!" my buddy excitedly says....we watch him for several minutes, as he's laying, then all of a sudden he gets up again - I quickly put another in him, and he still slowly walks off.....we wait a half hour or so, then went in to find him......

I normally don't put my fugly mug on here but here goes....

[IMG][/IMG]

Congrats buddy, nice job!

From there we proceeded to quickly de-bone the bull, moved all the meat away from the carcass, then packed out our camps for the night...then spent the next 1.5 days hauling meat out... it was a definite team effort and I couldn't have done it without my hunting partner....some of the pack out was uphill, making it a grind.....

[IMG][/IMG]

This was a pack out of a front quarter and the head up a steep hill....well, let's just say I'll never do that in one packout again lol........

As he lay pic.........

[IMG][/IMG]

2 days later we spent 11 hours and got him all butchered up, lots of meat for me and my partner's families...