Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pointers

Re: Pointers

What always surprises me is that these breeders of German Versatile breeds don't test their dogs in the German system!I 've seen too many Navhda registered dogs with poor bites that are still allowed to breed in their system.I would stay away from Navhda or CKC/AKC dogs.

Rainer

NAHVDA tests a dog's hunting and natural ability, not conformation to breed (or bite) standards as far as I know.

If a club can register a breed under their "banner",then they should be responsible for what they register.
    My advice to people who are thinking of a German breed, buy from a breeder that tests their dogs under they German system.

Rainer

Hey did you end up finding your new dog? I have a litter of deutsch drahthaar pups available mid-end of August. Lmk if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Shashlik View Post
    Hey did you end up finding your new dog? I have a litter of deutsch drahthaar pups available mid-end of August. Lmk if interested.
    Are both parents tested, breed-showed and certified to breed under the VDD system?
    Test scores?
    Xray results?
    Breed show scores?

No, pups are not registered,should have mentioned earlier. My male came from Utah Vom Ridgeline Drahthaar and female came from Ukraine. I'm not willing to go through the process of registration, I just have couple hunting dogs that for myself that I'll breed ones in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Shashlik View Post
    No, pups are not registered,should have mentioned earlier. My male came from Utah Vom Ridgeline Drahthaar and female came from Ukraine. I'm not willing to go through the process of registration, I just have couple hunting dogs that for myself that I'll breed ones in a while.
    Then these puppies are NOT DD's!

Not to be annoying, but that are they? I understand the importance of registration and testing but if one didn't go through the process and just bred two DD's what does that make new born pups then?

I did find a dog. I have a red and white setter. I’ll try and keep up this post with the training. He’s very easy so far to catch on to commands. I just took some grouse feathers, tied them up with an elastic and scraped the grass in a fifteen foot line in a certain spot before we went for a walk and walked him by the spot. He picked up on the scent right away and followed the trail in both directions and picked up the bundle of feathers I left. He sits, he whoas, he’s starting to fetch.

The thing I’m wondering is if I should be training him to fetch and flush as the same thing or try and separate it. The plan is to get him to fetch amd whoa in the area where I think he should point and then when he has that down work on the flush command with a bumper or bird launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I did find a dog. I have a red and white setter. I’ll try and keep up this post with the training. He’s very easy so far to catch on to commands. I just took some grouse feathers, tied them up with an elastic and scraped the grass in a fifteen foot line in a certain spot before we went for a walk and walked him by the spot. He picked up on the scent right away and followed the trail in both directions and picked up the bundle of feathers I left. He sits, he whoas, he’s starting to fetch.

The thing I’m wondering is if I should be training him to fetch and flush as the same thing or try and separate it. The plan is to get him to fetch amd whoa in the area where I think he should point and then when he has that down work on the flush command with a bumper or bird launcher.
    A setter is a pointing breed so it's their instinct to point. It's not their instinct to fetch but chances are they will want to do it anyway because there's a good chance they enjoy it but if they don't you can still train the dog to retrieve either using positive reinforcement or by using the force fetching process. It's your choice. You can have a pointer who can retrieved well by using either method.

Just wondering why you would want your setter to break point and rush (flush) the bird? Generally hunters want their pointing bred dogs to be rock steady on point while you or a hunting partner flushes the bird. Ideally, the dog should be steady to wing and shot, as well, but whether you want your dog to do this is up to you. Some hunters don't care if their dog breaks after the flush or during the shot but those who hunt test their dogs sure do. It's the difference between having a starter dog or a fully finished one,,,,and there's a lot more of the former than the latter!

As far as how much time and work you want to invest in your dog it's pretty easy to get a pointer be steady on birds just with lots of exposure to them. They'll teach your dog. It's far more work to get the dog to be steady to wing (the flush) and even more work to have your dog be steady to shot but when they can do all three it sure looks nice, especially if you have also trained them to be a reliable retriever.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!