Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointers

Re: Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Bottomline,if you don't spend time with your dog or take him hunting once in a blue moon,you will never get a "superstar"
    You nailed it. We had a great two week bird trip, and my young Weimaraner is showing tons of potential. I am very excited for her future.

I ended up bringing my older Weimaraner along with my friends GWP and PP. it was cool to watch the different styles. My dogs hunt close (like 50 yards) so perfect for the typical BC forestry roads and thicker Bush, while his hunt much further afield. It was pretty much equal in birds put up by the two styles, but the difference is I can control my dog with hand signals, while his are being whistled, yelled or zapped via collars. They were out of sight 80% of the hunt, while mine was out of sight 10%. In the prairies (where the GWP and PP hunt a lot), their farther reach would be advantageous for sure

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

^^^^ Love that first photo. I like any photo that show a bunch of versatiles. Was out a couple of months ago doing some field and water training with 4 wire-haired vizslas (only one looked wiry to me), my griff, another friend's pudelpointer, and a DD (not in the photo). It was so versatile I think it may have taken the pic. lol

Yeah, I’d say only one of the Viszlas is wired. Maybe he stole that from your buddies PP, which is so NOT wirey you would almost think it’s a chocolate lab!?

How did the Viszlas perform? I grew up with them, but most I’ve met lately are fairly spun. Probably lack of training/exercise etc though.
    Last edited by Redthies; 10-03-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Yeah, I’d say only one of the Viszlas is wired. Maybe he stole that from your buddies PP, which is so NOT wirey you would almost think it’s a chocolate lab!?

How did the Viszlas perform? I grew up with them, but most I’ve met lately are fairly spun. Probably lack of training/exercise etc though.
    Ya, tight coated wire-haired dogs often don't look all that wiry even though they are registered as a wire-haired breed. I have seen griffs, DDs, and German wirehairs with very smooth coats. They barely have a beard at all and no facial furnishings. The pudelpointer is actually more wiry than he looked in the photo,,,,, probably because he was still wet from the water retrieves/searches.

All those vizslas were definitely wire-hairs,,,,some were related. Super well trained! They were definite not high strung like other shorthair vizslas I've seen in the past that weren't trained to hunt. All these wire-haired vizslas came from Hungary. The gal who owned them flew over there to pick them up herself. All had Hungarian names and all commands were given to them in Hungarian. As far as I know, they may have been the only words the owner knew. lol

She was a very experience bird dog trainer and is a senior NAVHDA judge. Basically ran the show, and said what score she would have given each of the dogs after they performed a given task. She gave us some good training tips and suggestions. I was quite proud of my griff who I sent out onto the water after her best dog could't locate a dead duck that one of the guys had chucked out into these 1-2' high lily pads that choked half the pond up on the other side of the pond after her dog spent about 6-7 minutes searching for it. Sako found it after 2-3 minutes of searching. I thought for sure she'd get hung up in the lily pads but she was able to worm her way through them to get to the bird.

That same vizla, though, completed a drag search that was at least 800 yards long that zig-zagged across several fields in way less than 2 minutes. It was pretty impressive!! I've seen my dog complete 300 yard drag searches in less than a minute so I'm not sure she wouldn't be able to do a long drag like that with some practice especially if it was a live cripple. Will have to add some of that long distance stuff into her training.

One other thing that Sako didn't do all that well on was an independent search to find a duck on a huge field. Because I've trained her on waterfowl in waterfowl hunting situations WAY MORE than on upland bird scenarios, she would check in with me fairly frequently to see where I should send her. This is typically what most of her retrieves are since she's often in a blind where the dogs don't have a visual of the ducks falling. Almost every retrieve is a blind retrieve.

We just send the dogs back with verbal and whistle commands close to where we think the birds fell in the marsh grass and they always end up finding them. The dogs would likely find them on their own but it would take much longer than what you want your dog to be out of the blind for since there could be other flocks of birds coming into the decoys.

One thing that our two days of being out there in the field for most of the day told me was that it sure would be nice to have a NAVHDA chapter down here on the coast!

There is a fellow in Oliver that is trying to give away a couple of well trained English pointers. One is 9 years old and ranked #5 in Canada and the other is 7 years old. He is GIVING THEM AWAY! He has too many now and is also trying to sell pups. His name is Chris Bibby. Check him out on FB Upland Hunting Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Is there anybody out there who wants to share some experience on pointers?

Im in the beginning stages of looking for a dog. I was going to wait until my golden left us, but the more I think about it the more I think he’s going to be around for another 5-6 years or more.

Anyways. I’ve been looking at the Irish red and white setter. They seem to be the best balance of what I’m looking for as far as Google tells me anyways.

Is there any other breeds out there I should be looking at? Has to be good in cold weather. they all seem to have intense energy levels, so lower energy would probably be better as it’ll be a family pet too. Ease of training would be a bonus, because I was hoping my 12 year old would help with a lot of that as it would likely be his dog in the end and I was hoping he could have his hand in there as much as possible.

My brother has a griffon, but I think I’d like something a little more point and flush specific.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    There is a fellow in Oliver that is trying to give away a couple of well trained English pointers. One is 9 years old and ranked #5 in Canada and the other is 7 years old. He is GIVING THEM AWAY! He has too many now and is also trying to sell pups. His name is Chris Bibby. Check him out on FB Upland Hunting Forum

Hopefully, one of those dogs can be found a new home. Pointers will need their space, and in the beginning some work for the new owner to adjust them to their new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but I’m not quite ready to bring a dog home just yet. Well, I should say my wife isn’t ready, you have to break these things in slowly. I was hoping for sometime next year some time.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    One thing that our two days of being out there in the field for most of the day told me was that it sure would be nice to have a NAVHDA chapter down here on the coast!
    The fellow whose dogs are pictured with my Weim was trying to get a NAVHDA chapter started here way back in 2005. Lots of people apparently claimed interest, until he asked for membership dues. Then the interest dried up quickly.

My dogs are trained to our own specs, so not sure how they’d stack up in a test. They sure do what we ask well though, and put a smile on our faces!

I have a three year old Pudelpointer from cedarwoods in Idaho. I waited two years to get her and the genetics speak for themselves. She is a monster in the field and a retrieving machine in the marsh. She also has a fantastic off switch and is great in the house. I currently belong to the PNW navhda chapter in Washington, she did her NA test with them. But haven't been down due to covid. We are hoping to do our utility test this summer. If you are interested in Puddle pointers check out cedarwoods http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/ you will not be disappointed. but there is a newer breeder near Bellingham WA that has started with cedarwoods dogs. its a lot closer and he is a NAVHDA guy it called evergreen gun dogs https://www.evergreengundogs.com/

Bustercluck If you have any questions about pudlepointers let me know

Bubba