Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alberta deer diseased?

Re: Alberta deer diseased?

Personally I think that we are not doing a good job of managing some of our wildlife including the fish. I can only see problems by trying to domesticate
    (keep penned) salmon and some ungulates.

This sounds like a pinebeetle but inside a deer!
    Anthony Martinovic
    September 1'st is a special day for a special age.
    It's been three years, and I'm still missin' it.

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

I dont think that the bag limit of 25 is correct but there are some areas where you can get a few extra tags if you want them.

I just got back from a hunt in one of the CWD zones just south east of Oyen about 15 klm from the Sask boarder. Three tags for 9$. Two doe tags and a buck tag. Good for either whitetail or mulies.

It is great country to hunt and lots of deer. They did some helicopter culling if Feb in the zone I was hunting and it really shows. I think the number I heard was 1800 deer taken.

The only thing you need to do is drop off your deer heads a check point to have them tested for CWD. If you are concerned about it wait to get your test results back before you eat any.

I just wish that more people would have taken advantage of the tags in the years past so that they wouldnt have had to do the big cull. I guess it is for the best though.

By the way they have found 13 cases of CWD in the zone I was hunting in the last three years.
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

13 deer in 3 years - out of how many tested?

I myself don't think they are going to get rid of all deer with this disease ,how are they going to fine and put down every deer ??????..

CWD has been around for a long long time, it has been found just about everywhere in North America that deer and elk are found. If you test for it it will eventually turn up some cases. If you shot 1800 deer in an area in BC , tested them all you would very likely find a handful of cases just like they do when they test most any other area that has deer or elk. BC dosen't test for it, they don't 'want' to find it.
    AKA Bushrat

WoodOx Guest

Did you see/kill any crankers Hildy, or do you figure the culling affected the herd too much to produce a good number of trophies still...?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
    I dont think that the bag limit of 25 is correct but there are some areas where you can get a few extra tags if you want them.

I just got back from a hunt in one of the CWD zones just south east of Oyen about 15 klm from the Sask boarder. Three tags for 9$. Two doe tags and a buck tag. Good for either whitetail or mulies.

It is great country to hunt and lots of deer. They did some helicopter culling if Feb in the zone I was hunting and it really shows. I think the number I heard was 1800 deer taken.

The only thing you need to do is drop off your deer heads a check point to have them tested for CWD. If you are concerned about it wait to get your test results back before you eat any.

I just wish that more people would have taken advantage of the tags in the years past so that they wouldnt have had to do the big cull. I guess it is for the best though.

By the way they have found 13 cases of CWD in the zone I was hunting in the last three years.

I HAVE A FREIND WHO WORKS IN THE sASK.GAME DEPT.LASTSEASON THEY TESTED 7,800. WHITETAILS & 1500 MULIES FOR C. W. D. THEY FOUND A TOTAL OF 3 ANIMALS INFECTED WITH THE DESEASE. FOR MORE INFO. GET A COPY OF BIG BUCK MAGAZINE,FALL 2007 & CHECK OUT THE EDITORIAL BY GARY DONALD FOR MORE FACTS. HERE IS A CASE OF CRONIC (THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING.) KILL THEM ALL MENTALITY

As a general rule, the farther east you go, the greater one's mistrust should increase!
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

agaucher,

The culling has had an effect but there are still piles of deer out in the place we hunt. It is basicaly about 18 miles of coulies along the Red Deer river and is all private land.

We saw a couple of nice 180 class mulies but we hadnt shot our does yet so our buck tags we no good.

Man that is one hard thing to do, watch a 180 class buck at about 50 yards with a tag in your pocket that you cant use.

Hilgy
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse