Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger fix

Ruger fix

Sometimes it's best to leave good enough alone. Did a bit of tinkering on the Ruger M77 last night and then couldn't get the bolt back in. It's usually pretty easy but this time I just can't get it together. Bolt just won't line up right and suspect the firing pin mechanism is out of sync. How/where can I get it set right in a hurry in Kamloops? Anybody have any ideas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ruger fix

I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

The extractor or the cocking piece.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thanks for the tip, moosecamp. Problem doesn't seem to be in the extractor. Something to do with the firing pin.

I think it's to do with the firing pin, Gateholio. With it in the state it's in, the bolt won't even clear the safety.

The firing pin is inside the bolt body and won't prevent bolt insertion. If it's not the extractor in the wrong position it's the cocking piece. The 77 cocks on opening the bolt so it's probably slipped into the "fired" position. I'm assuming this is a M77 MkII with a 3 position safety. If the notch on the cocking piece that the safety selector inserts into is not visible, your bolt is in the fired position. You need to re-cock before insertion. Put it in a padded vise or similar and recock it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Kamloops area?? Pritchard is nearby. Call 250-372-4888 and Shaun will fix it for you.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The re-cocking I guess is the part I don't quite wrap my head around. Will give it a try in the morning. Got wrapped up in the election results. Thanks a million for your feedback. It was exactly what I needed.

Thanks, Jagermeister. Got some good advice from Gateholio. Will try it in the morning and if it doesn't work, I'll get in touch with Shaun. Would like to meet him anyways.

Got her done. The Ruger is back in working condition and I'm a bit wiser for it. Thanks to Gateholio for the clues. Took barely five minutes to do the magic. Owe you one. Thanks also to Jagermeister, having Shaun's number handy was a comforting back-up, just in case...