Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

Re: Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkfasthippie View Post
    About me:
    Hello, I've been hunting and guiding in Ontario for a couple of decades-not new the the sport, but Ontario is not BC. Annually targeted species include waterfowl, whitetail deer, black bear, turkey.

I've just bought a place in Kelowna as i prepare to transition my life to the west-spending the next 2 years back and forth between the 2 provinces. I've lived in Vancouver, but never even been to Kelowna (arrive for the first time on OCT29, pending COVID rules)

Questions:
    1) is there a local gun shop that is favored where I can go and get local info/ buy a spare rifle/powder/primers/etc?
    2) whats a BC services card? is that like my Ontario Health card? reason for asking is because that's what I intend to use to apply for a resident hunters license.
    3) Is Kelowna predominantly anti hunters like downtown Toronto? -got a weird vibe from the real estate agents.

Thanks for any help.

Great North Precision in Kelowna. Great group of dudes and great store !!

Re: Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkfasthippie View Post
    This is sort of my fear. Toronto got out of control for my liking. I'm transitioning my final years of work to be in BC, with zero intention of staying in Toronto. My thought was to buy a condo as a jumping off point for 5 years, then perhaps go down to penticton. I have a few friends and coworkers do something similar, so i at least have some familiarities when I show up in a month. Thanks for the info
    Ah, 5 year plan. That sounds reasonable, but I suspect the 5 year plan may end up shortened once you experience a year or 2 in Kelowna. It's literally bursting at the seams due to mass migration of folks from the Lower Mainland who like you in Toronto are choking in the metropolis. Hwy 97 is the single main corridor for the Okanagan valley & things get very busy during the summer months. Less of an issue if you're in Penticton or a community at the north end of the valley. Kelowna being in the centre, you're stuck with congestion either way. An alternate way out would be Hwy 33 but that's a long detour. Vernon growing more than I'd like too with associated traffic issues.

My parents lived in Okanagan Falls during the latter part of their working careers thru retirement. Nice little town, but it seems like it's dying. Reverse trend vs what's happening in the rest of the valley.
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-25-2021 at 10:12 AM.