Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

About me:
    Hello, I've been hunting and guiding in Ontario for a couple of decades-not new the the sport, but Ontario is not BC. Annually targeted species include waterfowl, whitetail deer, black bear, turkey.

I've just bought a place in Kelowna as i prepare to transition my life to the west-spending the next 2 years back and forth between the 2 provinces. I've lived in Vancouver, but never even been to Kelowna (arrive for the first time on OCT29, pending COVID rules)

Questions:
    1) is there a local gun shop that is favored where I can go and get local info/ buy a spare rifle/powder/primers/etc?
    2) whats a BC services card? is that like my Ontario Health card? reason for asking is because that's what I intend to use to apply for a resident hunters license.
    3) Is Kelowna predominantly anti hunters like downtown Toronto? -got a weird vibe from the real estate agents.

Thanks for any help.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hello from Ontario- moving to Kelowna.

relastate people are lower scum than car salesman don’t read much into that.

1.) There are a few in Kelowna and area. Westside come to mind, and a few smaller outfits.
    2.) Yes it is our health care card. You will also have to sign up on line to get a FWID. Fish and Wildlife ID. There is an area on there that you have to attach a proof of residency. Can buy all your licenses and tags online then. Also apply for our yearly LEH, draw tags system from there.
    I think there is a 6 month residency to get going with your BC licenses. This year you might just have to opt for the more expensive non residence option if you want to hunt right away. Many seasons going into Early December for whitetail.
    3.) Only some. There are granola crunchers everywhere.

Nothing against the guys that each granola breakfasts while out hunting either.

Welcome to BC. almost.

Some of the smaller ma and pa shops that are not online, you will still find powders and such, but the other online retailers, all sold out.

Some nice mulie, whitetail, bear, moose hunting around Kelowna. Spent many years in the Okanagan before venturing further north.

Kelowna is good for hunters. Very redneck, lots of outdoorsmen.
    It's nothing like downtown Toronto.
    I think you have to be in BC for 6 months to get a hunter number as a resident.

Realtors are realtors. They just want your money.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkfasthippie View Post
    About me:
    Hello, I've been hunting and guiding in Ontario for a couple of decades-not new the the sport, but Ontario is not BC. Annually targeted species include waterfowl, whitetail deer, black bear, turkey.

I've just bought a place in Kelowna as i prepare to transition my life to the west-spending the next 2 years back and forth between the 2 provinces. I've lived in Vancouver, but never even been to Kelowna (arrive for the first time on OCT29, pending COVID rules)

Questions:
    1) is there a local gun shop that is favored where I can go and get local info/ buy a spare rifle/powder/primers/etc?
    2) whats a BC services card? is that like my Ontario Health card? reason for asking is because that's what I intend to use to apply for a resident hunters license.
    3) Is Kelowna predominantly anti hunters like downtown Toronto? -got a weird vibe from the real estate agents.

Thanks for any help.
    Please do not compare us to downtown Toronto.
    Why would you get a weird vibe from the real estate agents?
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

welcome to kelowna! lots of hunting. very conservative area. SHIT gun shops. I order most of my stuff from precision optics in quesnel or other reputable establishments from across the country.

You've never been to Kelowna but bought a house sight unseen? If you're retiring you may have been better choosing one of the smaller communities to the north or south..... Kelowna is kind of bursting at the seams these days & gets very busy in the summer. If you're there for a job, ignore that. Plus if you're from TO, Kelowna busy won't seem too bad.

Your BC driver's license can also include your BC Health Care number. Not sure if BC Services is included in that.
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-20-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Mainly because I went through 4 agents that stopped responding after I mentioned buying land as well to hunt. Could just be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by wallz View Post
    1.) There are a few in Kelowna and area. Westside come to mind, and a few smaller outfits.
    2.) Yes it is our health care card. You will also have to sign up on line to get a FWID. Fish and Wildlife ID. There is an area on there that you have to attach a proof of residency. Can buy all your licenses and tags online then. Also apply for our yearly LEH, draw tags system from there.
    I think there is a 6 month residency to get going with your BC licenses. This year you might just have to opt for the more expensive non residence option if you want to hunt right away. Many seasons going into Early December for whitetail.
    3.) Only some. There are granola crunchers everywhere.

Nothing against the guys that each granola breakfasts while out hunting either.

Welcome to BC. almost.

Some of the smaller ma and pa shops that are not online, you will still find powders and such, but the other online retailers, all sold out.

Some nice mulie, whitetail, bear, moose hunting around Kelowna. Spent many years in the Okanagan before venturing further north.
    Thank you for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    You've never been to Kelowna but bought a house sight unseen? If you're retiring you may have been better choosing one of the smaller communities to the north or south..... Kelowna is kind of bursting at the seams these days & gets very busy in the summer. If you're there for a job, ignore that. Plus if you're from TO, Kelowna busy won't seem too bad.

Your BC driver's license can also include your BC Health Care number. Not sure if BC Services is included in that.
    This is sort of my fear. Toronto got out of control for my liking. I'm transitioning my final years of work to be in BC, with zero intention of staying in Toronto. My thought was to buy a condo as a jumping off point for 5 years, then perhaps go down to penticton. I have a few friends and coworkers do something similar, so i at least have some familiarities when I show up in a month. Thanks for the info