Thread: Dear tallow

Dear tallow

Got a nice 4 point WT buck this year. He had up to 2" of fat over his back. I rendered the fat/tallow and wonder what use people have found for it. Eating it is out: it does not have much taste, but sticks to your mouth like candlewax due to its high stearin content.

Mix with seeds for the birds?
    Boot grease mixed with beeswax +/- neats foot oil?
    Coat cast iron pans?
    Candle making?

Suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dear tallow

How much do you got I'm an Indian and I love eating it you can grind it with your burger or heat it with garlic and use it to dip steak chunks that's what we do the rez it's the only thing you can eat in really cold weather to keep your body temp up. And my grandmother makes cookies with it instead of butter but you can cure pans with it or leather it works best if you heat it then rub into leather my cowboy boots are waterproofed with deer fat
    Last edited by Rezpatrol; 09-18-2021 at 06:23 PM.

great thread and great post rezpatrol. always wondered what uses it might have. early season deer and elk often have a ton of it to trim off!

Yea they always do and I've noticed alot of people throw it away even if you have no other uses for it you can melt it all down to grease put it in jars and mix with dog food your dogs will greatly appreciate and be softer

Makes good soap,
    Birds like to eat it too I put all the heave fat strips about 20 lbs onto a sheet of plywood one November and the birds picked it clean in under a week even the small birds like it. I left the carcass or a skinned out coyote hanging in a tree. I noticed that sparrows and finches had pecked a hole in it and were eating its guts out. Not much to eat when there is over two feet of snow on everything so I guess they eat what is available.

Great thread thanks, my dog and all the little birds thank you too. I've always thrown it out, didn't know!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!