Thread: Samick sage takedown bow

Samick sage takedown bow

Ordered a package from archery source. Getting into traditional archery for something new to learn. Ordered the bow above with 25lbs limbs so I can try and learn proper technique and slowly work up to 45lbs draw I believe so I can legally hunt with it.

what’s a good arrow weight to start off with for a 25lbs draw? Draw length is 29”
    thwnk you
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Samick sage takedown bow

Can’t help you with arrow weight. When I started with traditional a few knowledgeable people on this site told me to watch a movie called The Push. Awesome show and helped me a lot.

Thanks ghost will check that out
    Member of CCFR

I started trad a few years ago with a vintage 40# recurve, not take down. Added a Fleetwood Edge take down year later with 45# limbs. It's basically a Samick Sage clone. I'm not a super strong guy but I think #25 limbs is too soft for the average male, even starting out. Good thing is, replacement limbs are readily available for these bows. Keep in mind the limb rating is at a given draw length. My draw length is shorter than the standard so I'm pulling less than the rated weight. I'm now using #50 limbs on the take down with no problem. I used a digital luggage scale to determine # at draw length but don't recall what it is with #50 limbs. I do know I'm within legal hunting limit for most game with them.

Got my daughter & son in law each a Fleetwood Edge as well, they love 'em. She's a lefty & I got #25 limbs for her, son in law is a strapping lad & his has #45 limbs. I shortened some of my 500 spine arrows for the daughter & she mentioned last time out, the longer ones actually flew better for her. With #25 limbs 600 spine is probably a better choice. Keep the arrows a bit longer until you see how they fly. Then consider shortening them. This will affect the stiffness to a small degree. Insert & tip weight also play a major role in tuning the arrows.

My 'vintage' recurve. It came with a pin sight which I removed. Shoot instinctive now with both eyes open.

Up in a tree stand with the Fleetwood Edge take down.

Added a bow mounted quiver.

I really enjoy shooting the bow(s). Very therapeutic vs the shoulder pounding & noise of 30-06 at the range .
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-18-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Can’t help you with the arrow weight, but you made an awesome choice in bow. I got myself one of these with 35lb limbs a couple years ago. Pre-covid I did monthly archery tournaments and as soon as I switched to the Samick Sage, I was regularly winning 80% of them.

Awesome thank you both.
    mike- I’ll see how it goes with 25# limbs then. Will see how light they feel and order a new paiir accordingly. I’ll start with 600 spine , another friend suggested that weight also.
    thanks guys
    Member of CCFR

If you ever want a true flemish twist string for that hit me up I can make them
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington