Thread: Kept a nice Chinook out in front of south Arm of Fraser River on Monday

Kept a nice Chinook out in front of south Arm of Fraser River on Monday

Well, me and a buddy had a good time on Monday.
    Took 3 Chinook.
    A 12lb, a 14lb and a 25lb.
    The 2 smaller ones where White Springs and the big one was a "marbelled" Spring.
    Meaning, wasn't red, but not completely whit meat either, a mix.
    The big on was 40" and 25lb, and a hatchery to boot!!
    And now i have some Roe to cure for the Coho on the Vedder!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kept a nice Chinook out in front of south Arm of Fraser River on Monday

Nice fish . Makes good canned those chubby ones.

Awesome ! Enjoy those Bugle !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

BEAUTY !
    Nice big Smiley Spring ........ Sure brings on the Chinook in the Boat Smell.

I've loved that fishery my entire life.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Nice work! In my experience the marbled ones are tasty any way you eat them...the whites need a little TLC...what do you do with them?
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

The Whites are no doubt higher in fats, the good fats, therefore are more moist when cooking. They dont look as nice when presented in cooking, but in my opinion are equally as tasty, and ive fished them for 50 years. These late Whites, like out front of Fraser mouth, Vancouver, may be Vedder, Harrison, Indian, etc etc river bound. They do stink! That said, so close to their rivers or in the rivers they get stronger smell and slime. I bonk , clean, on ice till home, skinned and frozen. I either eat as fresh, or smoke them.
    Nothing wrong with whites, infact, many prefer them.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Those are some nice Springs. Congrats!

I’m with ED on this one. For baking or barbecuing the marbled and reds get used up first. Because the whites are a bit more oily we always found they were better smoked. Not that we didn’t enjoy them baked too, but if I was smoking Springs I’d prefer whites.

We caught a couple marbled springs in CR this past summer. They are great!

Well, i had a White that we caught just a couple weeks ago out front of French Creek in Parksville.
    Just a light dazing bonk, cut the gills and let bleed in bucket for 5 minutes upside down and then straight into cooler.
    My understanding is also that they are higher in fat than the reds.
    One fellow told me that some paid more per pound for the whites?
    I found it good, but then we marinate the salmon with all sorts of stuff (ketchup, maple syrup, lemon juice, celery salt, soy sauce,
    pepper, rosemary, olive oil).
    Found it a bit salty (and i didn't cook it with salt!) compared to the red the week before that i caught out of Nanaimo.

I will prep the Marble the same way.
    Already filleted and vacuum sealed.
    Probably will prepare it in marinade and take for the elk hunt for one night.
    Probably will have the smaller white this weekend with friends.

It felt good to take a big hatchery.
    If it had been wild, i might have let it go, but then again, 90% of them aren't clipped, so you cant tell.
    I really wish they would clip 100% of the hatcheries.

And what made the catch really memorable was all the onlookers on the surrounding boats "applauding"!
    Sounds like it was extremely slow out there, so many were surprised we had 3 in the cooler.
    But it was on my friends boat, who is completely green when it comes to salmon fishing.
    The week before we had major screw ups with his downriggers and the cables coming unspooled and basically putting one out
    of commission.
    It was a lot of trial and error to figure out how to run all this new gear of his on his 17" tracker.

Anyways, the downriggers were manual, we were in a maze of boats at the time, so he had to drive, so no downrigger cables
    coming up, his line was still down in the water as well.
    Finally he shut the boat down, and I played over/under thru the gear and cables, and handing off rods, and then back again.
    Must of been quit entertaining for all the others to watch us on a bass boat!

And to boot, he only had a "Trout Net"!!, and no gaff.
    Took him 5 attempts with the 12 lb to get it in the net, so i was surprised he got this one partially in the net and in.
    But we gotter done!