Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations - headlamps

Re: Looking for recommendations - headlamps

I have a petzel as my headlamp when big game hunting. Reliable, multiple settings and not hard on the battery.

I use a cheap energizer for waterfowling" didn't want to expose my expensive petzel to salt water". Have been very impressed with it as it gets abused when I'm in the marsh.

I just picked up a 2 pack at Cdn Tire for like $25.

LED lenser (leather man owns the company) makes amazing headlamps. My 1000lumen one has never let me down, auto adjusts brightness depending on how dark it is and how close the object you’re looking at is. You can ofc select your own brightness as well.

I like the black diamond ones, and also had good luck with the $20 green energizer one from crappy tire. Can’t beat the price.

I like the AAA battery ones, so it depends what you want. Petzl has a cool system where you can use batteries or their Li rechargeable power pack.

Whatever you get, seriously consider the battery they use. I've personally switched all of my lights to rechargeable via USB. I can top them up on the drive, always know I'm starting with a full battery, don't know how many partially used AA and AAA batteries I've wasted over the years.

Personally I really like the Nitecore NU25, it's tiny so it's always with me, but a decent battery with substantial light. Zebra Light is also awesome.

There are many headlamps available and in my view lots of ones that work very well so just look around for something that is in your price range and meets your needs. One need, for a hunter, that I would recommend is an ability to follow a blood trail in the dark and something that throws a red colour so that your night vision is not affected as much when the light is turned off. A company by the name of Thrunight makes some good flashlights but they are pricey and I am not sure they make headlamps at this time. Another company by the name of Olight makes a nice headlamp/clipon that works well but does not throw a blood tracking beam.

Have fun looking, good luck with your search.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I have Fenix HM65R Headlamp, and Fenix UC35 flashlight, the batteires are interchangeable and they both USB rechargeable, love it!

Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

I'll follow this thread. I'm struggling to find a decent replacement for my existing headlamps. I admit, I'm quite fussy about my gear. I bought a good headlamp from Cabelas about 12 years ago. Looking for a replacement, but none match up.
    Must have a good bright red light. Most headlamps have a red light that would be good for cooking or taking a dump, but not for hiking.

I bought a Black Diamond a couple of years ago, but it hasn't made it out of camp. Not a bad camp light, but not enough for the trail.

Ive been looking at the Fenix and LEDLenser models. I don't mind paying good money, if I'm getting what I want.

Not a fan of USB Charging. On a 15 day hunt. And not really a fan of those that run off blue tooth, so you can turn the brightness down to make it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I'll follow this thread. I'm struggling to find a decent replacement for my existing headlamps. I admit, I'm quite fussy about my gear. I bought a good headlamp from Cabelas about 12 years ago. Looking for a replacement, but none match up.
    Must have a good bright red light. Most headlamps have a red light that would be good for cooking or taking a dump, but not for hiking.

I bought a Black Diamond a couple of years ago, but it hasn't made it out of camp. Not a bad camp light, but not enough for the trail.

Ive been looking at the Fenix and LEDLenser models. I don't mind paying good money, if I'm getting what I want.

Not a fan of USB Charging. On a 15 day hunt. And not really a fan of those that run off blue tooth, so you can turn the brightness down to make it last longer.
    I would be interested in the results of your search as I am looking for a quality red light capable headlamp too as I get older my night vision takes much more time to recover with the bright white lights in the powerful headlamps and my old headlamp burns batteries faster than I would like.

Good luck in your search, I am looking forward to hearing what you decide upon.

Be well... /B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBob View Post
    There are many headlamps available and in my view lots of ones that work very well so just look around for something that is in your price range and meets your needs. One need, for a hunter, that I would recommend is an ability to follow a blood trail in the dark and something that throws a red colour so that your night vision is not affected as much when the light is turned off. A company by the name of Thrunight makes some good flashlights but they are pricey and I am not sure they make headlamps at this time. Another company by the name of Olight makes a nice headlamp/clipon that works well but does not throw a blood tracking beam.

Have fun looking, good luck with your search.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01FCU...b_b_asin_title They do as I’m using one. Best I’ve used so far.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I have a black diamond spot, which I REALLY like...once I remember how it works. The lock feature is sweet when it's in my pocket so it doesn't burn the batteries. It has dimmable white light, flood or spot. As well as dimmable red, blue, or green, plus strobe settings.
    I'm not a fan of rechargable lights. I want to be able to swap batteries when it dies.

I have a petzl E light in my pack as an emergency backup. It takes one of those little coin batteries, has a built in whistle, it's very much a survival deal, but it's good to have if you need it!

I have a Princeton tech remix in the truck. Red or white, 2 light level settings. Works well.

I have an energizer work headlamp on my hard hat. 2 lenses, spot or flood, 2 light levels. It takes 3 AA batteries, and has been through hell and keeps kicking.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.