Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Ice Auger

Hybrid View

Electric Ice Auger

Hey...

Anybody on here have/use one?

I was a bit skeptical about getting an electric wood splitter but am super happy with it. Was planning on going with a gas powered auger for ice fishing, but see that there are quite a few of the battery powered ones around.

Any thoughts/comments/feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

M.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Electric Ice Auger

Up here, don't use one much. Ice doesn't usually get thick enough to warrant one...

However, when someone else brings one, I'm a lot more inclined to move around a little more.

https://backcountrycariboo.com/produ...nch-ice-auger/

Here’s another option if you have a good drill. I haven’t personally tried one yet, but will be giving one a run.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I know a few guys with them and like them. No smoke in the tent if you’re redrilling holes 2 days in a row. And I’m talking hard northern Alberta ice 3’ thick.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Have used a cordless 18 v drill with my 8" auger . I use the Rigid but have seen the dewalt work fine . Get the $12. Attachment from Canadian tire and you are good to go ... Should get alot of holes from 1 battery charge . I have drilled 2-3 ft of ice no problem .

if you are just out for the day and don't move around a lot then I can see their appeal, but if you are the type that does sleeper huts or camps on the ice, I think they lose a lot of appeal, just one more thing you need to keep charged...especially if you like to move around and drill a lot of holes

if it's very cold you might need to keep the batteries warm, you will notice the effect when batt is cold, slower to cut and can hear it straining more....ION actually makes an insulated battery bag....I've seen guys using their drill setups and pop the batt into a small lunch bag with a hand warmer

https://ioniceaugers.com/collections...on-battery-bag

https://nilsondirect.com/1-ion-ice-a...-getting-cold/

IMO they drill slower than my eskimo gas auger, a lot of variables in that and some guys could debate that, I'm also a stickler for keeping my blades in good condition...I think the newer electrics might be faster now
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If you already have a good cordless drill and batteries, I think that would be the way to go....more useful and affordable than a dedicated electric auger
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Have used the ION ice auger. Will drill a 10" hole through 18" in under a minute. We have drilled 20+ holes in a weekend without charging the battery. Never have to worry about it not starting like a gas one and it won't leak fuel into you ice fishing sled.

buy the ion the guys who say dont are just cheap

For our Ice fishing shack, we have two Ions with reverse and extensions as we are drilling through 36+" of ice plus the height of shack off the ice.

Much better than my Jiffy 10".

There is others now who make battery augers and they are all pretty good.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!