Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Hunt #2- Proud dad

Youth Hunt #2- Proud dad

Hello All,
    Some of you might remember that my son has had some serious challenges starting when he was 9 years old. Crippling anxiety from PTSD has led to multiple life threatening realities for him, but when he was 10 he took his CORE and I started taking him into the bush often to stalk bears, fish, camp and explore. Through these adventures, lots of conversations and the goodness of God my son has been transformed. Last year on his 11th birthday, which is September 1st, I took him on his first deer hunt. One the way in I told him to remember that hunting is hard. It requires dedication. It requires patience. It often leaves you empty handed. We got to the spot I was planning to hunt as I had seen deer there before at 6:30 AM on his birthday. His first hunt. Deer! Shooting stick! .7mm-08 goes boom! Deer down! Just like that my boy is smiling, confident, healing. I'm so thankful for that little spiker buck. Tasted great too!
    Fast forward to this year. He has gotten stronger, bigger, overcome so much. No one even seems to remember the kid he was just one year ago. Of course there's been lots more adventures and bear hunts and bush time, but September 1st marks opening day, his 12th birthday and his second deer hunt. Having seen the spot we hunted before burn down I said a prayer and asked the Lord for guidance and we headed to a new spot. I once again talked him through how last year was not typical and that hunting is hard and that we will need to show perseverance and work hard. He understands and he is ready to put in the work. I head towards a promising spot and we begin his second hunt on his birthday just as the sun begins to give us enough light. We came around a corner and could see a little rise and wouldn't you know it, Deer! Dad that one's a buck! You bet it is bud. Shooting stick! .7mm-08 goes boom! Deer kicks and takes off. 6:15 AM and we're looking for blood. Finally found some on a game trail. Pink, frothy, full of air. Lung shot. No more blood to be found. Game trail splits. We choose the wrong direction because there was logging road the other way. 1 hour. Nothing. Back to the start. Let's go down to that road and look back up. No blood on road. No sign of deer. My son feels horrible. I turn around. Deer! Dead! 2 feet off the road! Wow I felt dumb lol. We were able to hike back to our truck and drive right to it. Nice little 2-pointer. I looked at my son and said, well, I guess hunting isn't so hard for some of us! Maybe next year you'll get a 3 pointer to keep up the pattern, and he looked at me and said, "Maybe it doubles every year, dad, and I'll get a 4-pointer next year!". With this kid I wouldn't doubt it. What a honour it is to be his dad and to be able to take him hunting. It's something I never experienced growing up and I treasure being able to do it with and for my son. (I have pics, but this site is way too confusing.)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth Hunt #2- Proud dad

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Cool to hear how the outdoors has benefitted your son! The woods definitely are healing…

Good for you Dad. Great way to help your sone deal with issues and the making of a fine young man no doubt.

Thanks for that Sir....

Thumbs up Re: Youth Hunt #2- Proud dad

Excellent read!
    Way to be bringing them up right Pa!
    Congrats to your Young Gun too!

Sent you a pm. I can host and post your pictures for you if you so desire.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs up Re: Youth Hunt #2- Proud dad

Here's the Young Gun pictured with his second buck.
    That GRIN says it all!

Going to be some Fine chewing right there!
    Congrats all round once again!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks for posting! The first pic is of his first deer last year.

Congrats that's awesome!!

very nice, congrats

Awesome!! Great job both of you

It sure is a great feeling when the kids connect!
    Way to go!