Thread: A Game Meat Question

A Game Meat Question

If you have a piece of meat that is tainted and smells off, and it's touched other meat, and the other meat therefore smells off, is there a way to get the smell out of the other meat? Would the other meat be spoiled? I am thinking of 'bathing' the other meat in water& vinegar, to change the pH, and thinking that will rid it of the odour causing bacteria.. do you all with experience think this idea would work?

Thanks in advance!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A Game Meat Question

I would definitely give it a try, maybe a little wine marinade after the vinegar wash off. You would know if it was off after the first bite, just don't eat the whole thing if you feel it is off.
    MM

i shot a wt one time
    the meat had a smell
    i gave the liver to a buddy's wife
    she really likes liver.
    i told them about the smell and they tossed the liver.
    my self when thawing the meat it had a smell
    i cooked it up on the bbq and no funny taste in the meat what so ever
    smelt bad on the counter but tasted fine
    cook up some and give it a try.
    was an early oct deer so not in the rut
    the deer meat just had a smell to it

Meat usually spoils from the outside in. Try just trimming off the offending part.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Depends what you mean by tainted and smells off and how it got that way. Have cooked up roasts that had a strong smell and they were fine. If this was meat that was handled properly and frozen and now smells I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a case of meat not been processed in a timely manner or in unclean surroundings I would be more concerned. Think I've seen that you do your own so probably not the latter.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach