Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Season Harvest

Youth Season Harvest

Hey gang, I’ve been sitting on this story since September 3, however, I’ve been having difficulty posting pictures. I use postimages.org and have successfully posted pix a number of times here before, but now I cannot upload them to postimages.org and have them show right side up (new computer). They are always sideways. If I edit them to change orientation before I upload them, they upload how I orient them, they just will not load the proper orientation. So I do apologize for the poor picture posting, but I had to get this story out.

My 12 year old son Mason successfully completed his CORE earlier this year. Last year we put in a lot of effort to get him his first big game animal under my tag, but I was not able to present him with any opportunities. This year has gone much differently. We have continued to work hard on his marksmanship at the range with the last few outings shooting from field positions.

Friday Sept. 3 I took the day off work to get out early morning during youth season here in Kamloops. We planned our hunt the night before and were in good spirits that morning as we parked at our predetermined location to hike into the area we were going to walk around in. After an hour and a half of walking around the area, I spotted two young bucks together at 120 metres away. They saw us before we saw them but weren’t too spooked yet. I helped Mason get set up with our tripod trigger sticks. He chose to shorten them right up and kneel down behind them which gives quite a solid base. The bigger of the two was a spike buck which was standing face on towards us. The second was a smaller 2 point which was directly behind the first. Mason chose to shoot the bigger spike but I told him to wait until the other buck cleared from behind. The 2 point ended up spooking and leaving shortly after mentioning it. Mason waited until his buck turned and presented a shot. Mason’s tikka 7mm-08 barked as I was watching through the binos and the bucks mule kick reaction indicated a hit. I lost sight of the buck due to the terrain as it ran. We collected ourselves and approached to find where the buck was standing.

Even though we marked a visual landmark where we figured the buck was standing, we did not immediately (like 2 minutes) locate where it was when Mason shot. An emotional 12 year old hunter started crying at that point at the thought of potentially wounding an animal and not recovering it. “Whoa whoa whoa son, it is way too early to start crying. This has just started. We haven’t even found where it was standing yet. We need to find that so we can do some tracking. This is how it works. Let’s relax just a bit.”

Well, we spent 5 more minutes looking and I located where it was standing. “Mason, c’mere. Blood.” Bright red, bubbly, frothy blood. A few specks, and then more. And not just on the ground, but at the tops of the waist high bushes. Mason was like a bloodhound as he led the recovery mission. Every few steps, there was a few more splatters and it led us approximately 50 yards away from where Mason had shot it. And that’s when I pointed to his piled up trophy and said “there he is”. And that’s when the tears of joy came. Boy oh boy, it felt good. He and I have been working hard together and enjoying our time in the woods. Mason’s hard work had paid off with the proof being an impressive double lung shot by my youngster. We couldn’t have asked for a better first big game harvest. It was such a positive experience for the both of us.

The rest of the day saw us taking the buck home to hang in our cooler and doing the butchering the following day. We cut jerky strips which we will smoke and we will turn the trim meat into polish sausage. Mason grilled the tenderloins for us the night of the harvest with fresh liver and onions.

As I mentioned earlier, Mason is now a licensed resident hunter with his own tags and therefore was excited to apply for LEH this year. Well, the lucky bugger received the only authorization for bighorn sheep ewe/lamb in 3-29c. He says his confidence is even greater now for his upcoming sheep hunt. It was a ‘proud dad day’ for sure.

I hope everyone is able to enjoy some positive moments this hunting season.

Montec

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth Season Harvest

WELL DONE! Thats what this site is about especially getting the young ones out there and getting into the habit. Congrats to Mason and Dad!! Feel great right Dad!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Great job to you both!!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Congrats to your son and good choice in caliber, is it the compact model.

Congratulations to you and your son. The great memories will last a lifetime.

Thumbs up Re: Youth Season Harvest

Congrats!!
    Simply love hearing about the Young Guns' success, and Dad's bringing them up right!
    Well Done All Round!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Congrats to your son and good choice in caliber, is it the compact model.
    Yes, it is the compact model. It fits him very well and comes with an extension on the stock. Will provide some solid shooting for a few years I'm sure.

Right on!

Nice work, both of you!

Great job that is an awesome looking set of spikes.

BDD
    Member of the CCFR, but not a "Violent Extremist"