Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guided Hunts: Tipping

Re: Guided Hunts: Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I work with a guy that still does some black bear guiding and he told me he saves all of his big bears for the Americans, because they give the biggest tip. I think he said the aussies were the cheapest so he gave them all of the smallest ones.

It’s something to think about. Maybe put that on the table right away. “If you find me what I’m looking for than I’ll put this in your pocket”
    People that don't like tipping don't understand the dynamics of tipping and what's going on behind the scenes. It's not just in the guiding industry but every industry that has tipping part of it's culture.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

In very simple terms, if the guide does NOT work his/her butt off, I simply don't come back or recommend. If he/she DOES work their butt off, I'm getting what I expected and paid for. That was all negotiated before I made my commitment to the hunt. I sincerely don't believe there is ANYONE out there who is willing to pay his/her HARD EARNED money for mediocre effort. I'm expecting all-in or nothing. Am I alone in my views?

Guided fishing and nothing worse than a guy steps in your boat and says your tip will be a dollar a pound. Well buddy your already not my favourite kind of guy. I found that if the guy is a knob and starts to tell me how to guide it will be a long trip! I would say 90 percent of my clients over 22 years were great guys and looked at the bigger picture rather than the success. A lot have been good friends over the years. The worst is a guy who is up on a corporate trip and whines the whole time but has a great trip. Than you have a guy who has saved for a trip of a lifetime and the fish disappeared. That bothered me a lot.

The rates for a guide have come up slightly in the past decade but the outfitters traditionally pay guides a low wage(less then minimum wage, when averaged hourly), cause they know guides are getting tips. I would never have survived in the business as a guide, as long as I did if it were not for tips.

There is punching in and punching out, and then there is going above and beyond.
    If you don't get why to tip or you only tip a waitress 10% or less...well you simply don't get it. If my drink is never empty, if they are checking in on me and making sure I am completely satisfied constantly that ensures that my experience is the most enjoyable. I reward that accordingly. Doesn't matter if its a guide, my waitress, my tattoo artist. they can do the bare minumum or they can make sure Im well taken care of, if you don't know the difference then your spoiled.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread but I have a question that I'm curious to hear other's view. [ somewhat related topic] Restaurant tipping I understand [ host, waitress, busboy, dishwasher etc..] but what do people feel about a takeout style restaurant? What is appropriate in this situation? The customer in this case doesn't have the same interactions as when they are at a sit down place.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I don't mean to sidetrack this thread but I have a question that I'm curious to hear other's view. [ somewhat related topic] Restaurant tipping I understand [ host, waitress, busboy, dishwasher etc..] but what do people feel about a takeout style restaurant? What is appropriate in this situation? The customer in this case doesn't have the same interactions as when they are at a sit down place.
    a lot of business are making it so that gratuities are automatically added to the bill, which I strongly disagree with.