Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guided Hunts: Tipping

Re: Guided Hunts: Tipping

A $10 Tim's gift card should be enough.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I guided for years and here r some variables to consider. If you’re in a camp with a cook and the guide has a wrangler to tend the horses, all will appreciate a tip of any sort but the guide might not be as busy as if he is doing all the cooking, cleaning, wrangling, guiding etc. $100/ day is a good place to start. The hours are often 16-18 hrs a day or more and the stress to be successful is very high.

Well put Grizz
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by grizz.325 View Post
    i guided for years and here r some variables to consider. If you’re in a camp with a cook and the guide has a wrangler to tend the horses, all will appreciate a tip of any sort but the guide might not be as busy as if he is doing all the cooking, cleaning, wrangling, guiding etc. $100/ day is a good place to start. The hours are often 16-18 hrs a day or more and the stress to be successful is very high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Hmm never expected a tip..but was pleasantly surprised most trips,never felt bad when I didn't get a tip..once got a custom fly rod custom made for my client who tagged out extra early.
    My twin brother had a fishing client who tipped him more than the cost of the fishing trip .
    Betty was generous in her wages but not exhorbatant..can remember $1800 tip for 14 day hunt..one American opened his wallet kept $10 for a drink on the plane and handed over the rest of his wallet... $2500 canadian...but notable as the exception. .
    The $100/day is on the high side..but happened often..had a real surprise with a wonderful Texan on a wolf hunt..he did NOT get a wolf but was extremely generous with me.. $$$$.
    Interesting that the biggest bear was the lower end of tip.one guy who saved for 10 years for his dream bear hunt still managed $500 tip..I was humbled.
    Gerry client was a billionaire..literally and the tip was astonishingly high..most I have heard of..despite gerrysome bizzzrre schedule and Gerries fishing talents /knowledge..impressive tip .
    Tip is not mandatory and shouldn't be expected..when it happens..pleasant surprise.
    S

Not been on a guided hunt , but have made a lot of trips coastal fishing. This year the 4 of us tipped $600 for 3 days fishing, the charter was $1200 each.
    Our guide is a one man show and does work hard for the fish plus his equipment and accommodations are top notch.

In Hawaii (Kona), a 6 hour charter was ~$100/hour in 2017, so the tip is usually $150. We do not keep any fish unless a deal is struck before departing as we only want enough for a couple meals. 6 hours is lots as you start fishing right away, no prolonged boat ride.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    A $10 Tim's gift card should be enough.
    And don’t be surprised if you get a knuckle sandwich for your troubles. That sort of crap is worse than no tip at all.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I work with a guy that still does some black bear guiding and he told me he saves all of his big bears for the Americans, because they give the biggest tip. I think he said the aussies were the cheapest so he gave them all of the smallest ones.

It’s something to think about. Maybe put that on the table right away. “If you find me what I’m looking for than I’ll put this in your pocket”
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The fact that tipping is expected in any industry is ridiculous - employers should be paying employees appropriately. If you’ve already agreed to pay x for a service/experience why should you feel obligated to fork over more money just because the provider delivered on their promise?
    I’m not saying nobody should ever tip - just that expecting it seems absurd.
    Our society seems to have gone from “tipping for extraordinary service” to “not tipping for extraordinarily bad service.”
    Twist and pull.

Tips pay for the planes to fly around and find the big game animals. Didn't you know that. Just kidding.
    If it wasn't true.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"