Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guided Hunts: Tipping

Guided Hunts: Tipping

Tried to see if there were any posts on this subject and couldn’t find anything.

With Outfitters opening up some guided hunts to BC Residents, just wondering what is the standard tip percentage you should abide by at a minimum for a successful hunt?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Guided Hunts: Tipping

I’ve never done a guided hunt, but worked with guides daily for years. I know they appreciate anything, as some people don’t tip at all, but I would say your standard percentages are a good guideline. If it’s a $2000 hunt, anything less than $300 (15% for the mathematically challenged) seems a bit “cheap” to me. And I also don’t think it should be dependant on the hunt being successful. If your guide works his butt off for you, and the animals don’t co-operate, that’s not his/her fault.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Between 10 to 15% is normal. Closer to 15% these days. Often a tip is supplemented with a gift of some gear if the client is so inclined.

Some of the biggest tips I have received were from some of the toughest hunts. As mentioned, if the guide works hard, they are usually tipped well regardless of the outcome of the hunt.

Thanks

Appreciate the info on the norms - and I 100% agree the success of the hunt may not necessarily be the kill of the game - but having a guide that puts in the effort to ensure you have an enjoyable experience.

I don't understand tips. Just pay what the guides are worth. If they still need tips to survive that just means they are underpaid.

Why is it some jobs require tipping?
    When is the last time you topped a gas attendant?, A grocery checkout girl?, The auto mechanic?, The guy who delivers the propane to your house?
    Lots of jobs out there that doesn't pay a whole lot and don't get tipped.
    Why the waitress, and the guide?
    MM

I had always thought the standard was 10%. The last horseback trip I did was $4000. The country we hunted was spectacular and the experience was fantastic. There were some deficiencies with the outfitter but both he and his helper worked their ass off and we got one nice buck between the two of us. Despite the deficiencies we felt 10% was fair and the outfitter was more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by NĄck View Post
    I don't understand tips. Just pay what the guides are worth. If they still need tips to survive that just means they are underpaid.
    Adding 10-15% to the cost of a hunt to improve wages won't sell. It's been tried and hasn't worked.

Tipping seems to be a quirky social norm in many industries...just like haggling on the price of a car or house but not on groceries. Social constructs are complicated and generally make no sense but it's the way it is.

Never done a guided hunt but have done several offshore fishing charters in Hawaii, Mexico and Trinidad. Some charter captains are happy to take your money and take you for a boat ride. Others bust their balls to get you on fish. It's easy to tell the ones who want you to get full value out of a charter and have a memorable trip and I tip them accordingly.

I expect hunting guides are the same.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-12-2021 at 05:13 PM.

100$ per day is where it should start, guides work long days and if you look at their day wages spread over the hours they work the hourly is just sad