Thread: Areas around Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby/Surrey/North Van to Train Pointer

Areas around Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby/Surrey/North Van to Train Pointer

Hi there

I'm getting a Brittany soon. I love in Vancouver. Hoping to get some tips as to places I can let my dog loose to sniff around, to train, and maybe find some birds.

Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

bandit is online now Passionate pointer parent

Re: Areas around Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby/Surrey/North Van to Train Pointer

Pacific Spirit park is the only large off leash dog area in the city. I use it pretty regularly for recall training although there aren’t many birds there. Sadly most of the public areas with lots of birds are on leash only, you would probably need to get out to Mission or Abbotsford to find somewhere to run your dog on birds. Alternatively you could buy some pigeons from Craigslist or Kijiji and discretely train with them somewhere quiet…

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    .... Alternatively you could buy some pigeons from Craigslist or Kijiji and discretely train with them somewhere quiet…

this...

I have a few spots I go to. A couple are trespasses, but un-used fields... Pigeons can be found locally.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

There should be a few parks on the north shore.
    Go down to Seymour river on the fisherman's trail from Rice lake.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

you want a field relatively close to where you park if you are on your own training the dog...

Without out a training partner you MUST make a trip in to plant bird(s) and then go back for the dog. this is a PIA if you are limited for time and don't want the extra leg work...

I have a lovely spot over a km hike in from a road, however I only use it when my son is able to help and bring the dog in once the birds are in place.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius