Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Book recommendations for cabins?

Re: Book recommendations for cabins?

I like books by Peter Hathaway Capstick, Robert Ruark, Col Jim Corbet, and even some Hemmingway , although it is fiction. For light reading and uncontrollable laughter, Patrick F McManus. Don't read the stuff about Grizz attacks and all that till winter and you are safe at home.
    B.
    Grandpa used to say, "ya know, when you point your finger at someone , three of your fingers are pointed back at you."

It's hard to find but it shows up used online "Hard Hunting" Patrick Shaughnessy and Diane Swingle. They do a hunt all in one season in Northen B.C. Good pictures and good stories. Unbelievable amount of work and very spartan camping. Think they get 2 rams, a grizzly, a black bear, a caribou, maybe a moose I can't remember. Really enjoyed it.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

BC books
    Anything from Roderick Haig Brown, BC legend.
    The golden spruce by John Vaillant. That book was insane. Kinda feel the same way...

Quote Originally Posted by skuntor View Post
    The Golden Spruce
    Did not see that. Agreed loved it.

Grizzlies Gales and Giant Salmon.

Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Eat your dessert first.

Alone Against the North, Adam Shoalts

Chilco Choate, Fred Webb.

A Hunters Road by Jim Fergus is a good story of a guy and his dog hitting the road in a camper truck to spend the entire season bird hunting in the USA.

I like lots of the BC historical books that you often see in small town gas stations.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist

Elk of North America - Ecology & Management by WMI

Radical Elk Hunting Strategies by Mike Lapinski

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post

A Hunters Road by Jim Fergus is a good story of a guy and his dog hitting the road in a camper truck to spend the entire season bird hunting in the USA.

I like lots of the BC historical books that you often see in small town gas stations.
    I agree with Gate…you can find some really interesting small run books. Slumach’s Gold, The Fraser, Samsqaunch books…

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post

update

Author & former guide Chilco Choate now 86, has returned to Clinton after 60 years as a guide outfitter at Gaspard Lake.

"Choate remained at Gaspard Lake, which still has no electricity or running water, until last year when he moved to Clinton after he fell and hit his head".

https://www.wltribune.com/community/prime-time-chilco-choate-reflects-back-on-life-in-the-bush/

Met Chilco a while back at his Gaspard camp & he was a super friendly & talkative guy, extremely interesting & knowledgeable in wilderness topics, animal behaviour, bush safety etc.
    After telling him about the grizz that charged Eve & I by Gaspard Creek he told us where the recent grizz sightings were & what to watch for in the general area.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein