Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target practice near Vancouver

Target practice near Vancouver

My Little Brother is showing an interest in bows, guns, hunting, and all that jazz. I thought it would be cool to take him target practice with the compound and crossbow to finish hooking him up.

Normally, I'd do that in crown land, 2.5+ away from the city, and with few people around. However, I our outings are of two to four hours per week, so that is out of the question. I also checked places like the Coquitlam Hunting club, but they don't do drop-ins due to the virus anymore.

So, is there any place closish to Vancouver in which we can do some target practice in relative peace?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target practice near Vancouver

Unfortunately not.
    you can barely make it to hope the hope area from Vancouver in two hours with all the traffic and abysmal city planning. Mind you a bow would be easier to find space for than a gun but unless you want to join the crowds of idiots up Harrison and such, you can hardly get out of town limits in your allotted time let alone travel to and from get everything set up then cleaned up and back home, you’ll likely have to make a day of it if this is something you want to achieve.

3-4 hours and you have a chance. As mentioned above, bow might be easier. I am not in the city and traveled 2+ hours to find a legal spot.

Most of the back roads in the Fraser Valley have 400M no shooting restrictions.
    Those were implemented as a result of target shooters who couldn't get the concept of target and BEYOND and cleaning up their mess after they were done shooting.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0073-001092
    https://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Governmen...otingAreas.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Most of the back roads in the Fraser Valley have 400M no shooting restrictions.
    Those were implemented as a result of target shooters who couldn't get the concept of target and BEYOND and cleaning up their mess after they were done shooting.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0073-001092
    https://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Governmen...otingAreas.pdf
    And those types are still shooting all over the place (within 400M) with no regard as to where their bullets end up and leaving garbage.

I never really agreed with the 400M thing to begin with, just figured it would push trash further out into the bush and get shooters up spur roads turned around and confused not realizing they are shooting towards roads. I think they hoped another law would eliminate bad apples without need for enforcement.

Anyway rant aside (still bitter about getting shot at least weekend) it sounds like a shooting range might be ideal? Could you just get a membership at PCDHFC? Then you could shoot anytime and not have to pay drop in fees.

I stand to be corrected but I think you are good up the East side of Harrison Lake ? I have come to this conclusion by looking at the links provided by Westcoaster . I assume no liability issues or any other repercussions if this is not correct !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 09-06-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Sounds like the ideal solution would be not to live in Vancouver. Funny how that seems to solve so many problems lately lol.

For now, I'll just become a member of a PCDHFC and/or go to Harrison East, far away from the idiots there.

Thank you folks, I appreciate the suggestions.

There is an archery target area just in behind bill copeland arena in Burnaby I’m not sure of the details of this place other then the location

Quote Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
    Sounds like the ideal solution would be not to live in Vancouver. Funny how that seems to solve so many problems lately.
    Except the one of where you live after your property burns up...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Thompson mountain sportsmen’s association, it’s a range in Pitt meadows and has a 100 yard range among others. They do day passes! Most other ranges do not.