Part 2 Now, that’s a sure thing

My buddy Conrad called me to come in the Okanagan deer hunting. After my luck on mule deer, I suggested to him to whitetail hunting near Rock Creek. “The place is full of deer” I told him. Full of hope, as usual, we pinned the Airstream and out we go. A full 4 days of hunting. I bring my bow, Conrad both his bow and riffle. The first shock was to find the campsite almost full with only one spot left. So, we took it. Friendly hunters all around, life is still great. The next morning before sunrise, we left. I put him in my hunting spot which had yield 4 deer for me and I went to another of my spot. By lunch, we both made our way back to camp with no sighting. Conrad is a much wiser hunter than me and he wasn’t seeing what he would consider “good signs”. After the evening hunt, he suggested we go back to my place and hunt Mullies. We tried one more morning before we called it quit.

So, we packed and left to my home in the South Okanagan and squeezed an evening hunt. Already things were more promising. Conrad went high, I went low. By the time we made back to the truck, we had seen 3 deer.

The next morning, we arrived at sunrise to see if we could catch some deer leaving the feeding area. This time, I went up and Conrad moved down. My plan was to hike way on top and glass down below. I was only 5 minutes in when a doe appeared in front of me. To my left, a buck was busy destroying a small bush. The doe looked straight at me, I froze. She then carried on. The buck, a 4-point, started to follow her. Because I was planning to hunt only at the top, my range finder was in my backpack. . . I know, I Know . . . the hunt start when you leave the truck. I rescinded and opened my backpack, got my range finder and got back on the ledge. The buck is at 80 yards and moving away following the doe. Too bad it is not Conrad with his riffle here instead of me with a bow. Oh, this isn’t over just yet. I start running around the mountain and up to intercept them over the pass. But they never showed up. I saw another 6 deer that morning . . . jumped them is more accurate, actually. I said goodbye to my friend and went back home licking my wounds.