Thread: Question about White Tail habbits.

Question about White Tail habbits.

Back in June when I was hunting black bear I noticed that a buck and three does where sharing a feeding/bedding area with this black bear I've been trying to ambush for a few weeks. I've since been back to the spot to try and hunt that buck i saw in the summer. I've been back a couple times this September, but haven't seen the buck, only two of the does.

My question is: Do bucks stay in the same general area all year, or do they move around during the rut?

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Re: Question about White Tail habbits.

During the rut they will try to breed as many doe as possible , they would not stay with one and continue to breed her. They will travel to where the does are
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Thanks Pioneerman!

I guess my follow up question to that would be: Do the does usually stay in a general area and if so, is should I just stick to this spot and wait on a buck to come to them?

It's my first year hunting deer so any info is much appointed.

Thanks,

There are no guarantees to your question. Too many factors to even list. Check the area for fresh sign such as tracks and crap and decide from there. If you saw deer in the area, there is a good chance others will be around, possibly your desired buck as well. Good luck.

Do whiteys move to a winter ground when it cools down.
    thanks
    TLGF
    50# RH Bowtech Destroyer
    60# LH Bowtech Destroyer
    KI 415 crossbow
    KI Swat XP crossbow
    KI Swat X1 crossbow
    P17 Eddystone 30/06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scope

I find that they move more because of the deep snow versus cool weather. A big snow storm can get them on the move

A pack of wolves will make them move real quick. If you are looking for a buck just find the does and stay in that area, they will show up eventually.

After the rut they generally form bachelor herds if there are the numbers , stay together all summer and early fall ,then pre rut they tend to go on their own and put down scrapes. During the rut they are aggressive towards other bucks generally and they follow the Does. The mature bucks know when a doe is ready to be bred and leave them alone till then , you will see young bucks agitating doe that are not ready. Quite entertaining .

If your hunting them during the Rut go to where the does are. Early season they usually stay where good cover is and good food source. Tend to stay put till disturbed if they have both of the above. But once the pre rut starts they move around looking.
    Best table fare are early season .
    Last edited by bluesman; 08-10-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBowDerek View Post
    Back in June when I was hunting black bear I noticed that a buck and three does where sharing a feeding/bedding area with this black bear I've been trying to ambush for a few weeks. I've since been back to the spot to try and hunt that buck i saw in the summer. I've been back a couple times this September, but haven't seen the buck, only two of the does.

My question is: Do bucks stay in the same general area all year, or do they move around during the rut?

Thanks,
    From my experience on game cameras, they seem to be by themselves until the rut. A few cameras over the last few years (in the kootenays) ive seen single whitetail bucks once per camera when I have them out from June until the end of August. Im not sure if its because they have huge areas or the move around a lot more than I thought. Around my house there are always does during the year, but I only see the bucks start showing up in October and then they are gone again by the end of December. My game cameras have been picking up the same bucks constantly during the rut, not enough to pattern their timing but its always the same deer at some point.

Im still figuring it out too but hope this adds a piece to your puzzle
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast