A few of the " guys" use to post on HBC ..... want to be Rock Stars
    Popcorn time………

Re: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Popcorn time………
    Yea it's coming ! LOL RJ

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Yes we had some success. No success on sheep this year but I did take a caribou with one of my sons on a different trip. Did the CI on Friday.
    Good deal congrats to you guys.

well said. my opinion scrap the age rule by counting the anuli. bridge the nose caller good. those rams that broom short of the nose. well lucky for them. Why would anyone take a chance on a 7 year old sheep with lam tips thats hard to judge. if hes way over giver. if hes hard to tell . just walk a little further.
    my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    We can all blame the COS for being heavy handed but this entire harvest of illegal rams falls back on who pulled the trigger.
    Covid put more BC resident sheep hunters on the mountain due to either more freed up time, the thought there’d be less competition from the outfitters or the fact that guys were sick of government Covid mandates and just wanted to get out.
    Last years sheep harvest was right in the ball park of a normal season with very few rams taken by the guides due to closed Borders.
    This year, starting a week before sheep season an army of sheep hunters headed in because they knew guides wouldn’t be there unless they’d booked a Canadian resident hunter for the sheep opener.
    With the confiscated Stone Sheeo, I was told by a credible source within the COS that the first 12 rams seized in Region 6 & 7B made up 50% of all rams CI’d at that time.
    This number will grow, rams will get dumped now because guys will get nervous and there’s most likely more young, short sheep ditched on a mountain due to ground shrinkage.
    Sheep regulations need to change, even if we don’t like it.
    The change is for the good of sheep populations.
    We can go on and on that the 8 year old full curl rule ensures that only a select number of mature rams are taken but that isn’t working real well in GOS areas that are in some instances probably looking at a 20% kill of immature rams.
    Stone sheep aren’t white tails and a change is needed.
    On the meat wastage, the majority of hunters do a first class job of bringing out meat but if you pay attention at any northern float base there’s always the ones that show up with a zip lock bag full of back straps along with the horns/antlers and the cape.
    Sometimes there’s a legit answer such as poor shot placement or a grizzly moved in.
    Then there’s the cold fact that manpower can only pack so much so far.
    As others have said, in the case of shot up meat or meat spoiled by scavengers a camera is your friend.
    Note the GPS coordinates as well in case you have to go back to the kill site with a CO to defend your case.
    Groups such as the Wild Sheep Society of BC have put on numerous seminars on aging rams, lack of education isn’t the issue…..in my opinion.
    The problem we are faced with is over competition for the sheep in the areas that are accessible by many of the fly in/walk in hunters.
    Most of them can only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pro 111 View Post
    well said. my opinion scrap the age rule by counting the anuli. bridge the nose caller good. those rams that broom short of the nose. well lucky for them. Why would anyone take a chance on a 7 year old sheep with lam tips thats hard to judge. if hes way over giver. if hes hard to tell . just walk a little further.
    my opinion.
    Id rather have a double-broomed rule on top of full curl like Alaska. Passed on a couple of those that I bet were the oldest rams I’ve ever seen. Both very dark horned, tough to count annuli. A beat up old broomed ram is more desirable to me than a younger lamb tipped preppy looking thin horn, and imo would help with the older age class harvest percentage…
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    A few of the " guys" use to post on HBC ..... want to be Rock Stars
    Because they copied it from all the Americans who don't seem to have a job and somehow made hunting a job

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Id rather have a double-broomed rule on top of full curl like Alaska. Passed on a couple of those that I bet were the oldest rams I’ve ever seen. Both very dark horned, tough to count annuli. A beat up old broomed ram is more desirable to me than a younger lamb tipped preppy looking thin horn, and imo would help with the older age class harvest percentage…
    not a bad idea.

[QUOTE=.264winmag;2288361]Id rather have a double-broomed rule on top of full curl like Alaska. Passed on a couple of those that I bet were the oldest rams I’ve ever seen. Both very dark horned, tough to count annuli. A beat up old broomed ram is more desirable to me than a younger lamb tipped preppy looking thin horn, and imo would help with the older age class harvest percentage…[/QUOTE

Agreeeeeee ! Here !

I'd rather have a old heavy broomed 11 yr. Old 2 inches short of the nose than a 8 yr just past the nose
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Yes this would be a option would like to see a one in 5 or 10 year rule as well.

Another thing that find strange is a member on here has shot a ram this year and has posted his story on a few american sights, which is fine
    the part i find strange is in the story he says B.C. has a large number of illegally harvested rams this year so many that the CO service has reached out to the B.C.
    sheep society about it . Why would the society not bring that up on here and other sights to bring it to peoples attention. If it was and i didnt see it i appoligize.