Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Re: Confiscated sheep in 2021

It will be because of recruitment...meaning inexperienced. Probably a good sign sorta .. It is the cost of a generational shift. What you all were wanting.....just you can't have your cake and eat it too...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

They are getting experience!!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Harsher penalties could also mean less rams being carried out and more being left dead on the mountain. And that ain't good either.

To be perfectly honest, I think the current ways to educate yourself are a bit crappy. I haven't found a good resource that shows how to properly age a ram.the examples they often use are a bit too obvious. I just don't see that any resource out there that shows how to properly ID false rings and discredit them.

If someone has a good resource for that, I'd love to take a look.

It takes a lot of experience to do this especially in the field, on a moving ram, while looking through a spotter with mirage from the heat making everything dance in the picture. It's tough, and it would be interesting how many of these 7 rams were shot by guys shooting their first ram. Probably a majority.

That said, plenty of guys shoot legal rams first time around. Social media is definitely a huge factor. Just too much pressure to deliver some content to your "followers". Everyone on Instagram wants to be a sheep hunter. Even people who can't hunt other critters worth a damn, let alone sheep.

*roll eyes*

I would be in favor of a regulation change and vote for it if given a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Harsher penalties could also mean less rams being carried out and more being left dead on the mountain. And that ain't good either.

To be perfectly honest, I think the current ways to educate yourself are a bit crappy. I haven't found a good resource that shows how to properly age a ram.the examples they often use are a bit too obvious. I just don't see that any resource out there that shows how to properly ID false rings and discredit them.

If someone has a good resource for that, I'd love to take a look.

It takes a lot of experience to do this especially in the field, on a moving ram, while looking through a spotter with mirage from the heat making everything dance in the picture. It's tough, and it would be interesting how many of these 7 rams were shot by guys shooting their first ram. Probably a majority.

That said, plenty of guys shoot legal rams first time around. Social media is definitely a huge factor. Just too much pressure to deliver some content to your "followers". Everyone on Instagram wants to be a sheep hunter. Even people who can't hunt other critters worth a damn, let alone sheep.

*roll eyes*

I would be in favor of a regulation change and vote for it if given a chance.
    In your first post you say you dont hunt sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    They are getting experience!!
    ya at the wildlifes expense is that what hunting is all about the wildlife is just out there to practice and learn on. I guess
    that explains all the dead stuff found out there. Lots of the illegal sheep shot are not by first timers.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I’m reasonably certain you are incorrect there about 1 per 3 years…. Or at the very least, there isn’t with thinhorns.
    Holy , dating myself, you are correct Sir. Thanks for the point.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    In your first post you say you dont hunt sheep.
    I don't. What is your point?

Absolutely nothing wrong with trophy hunting. Just pack out the meat. In reality, (and in the eyes of biologists and informed peoples) dead is dead and one critter or another will benefit from the carcass.
    Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I agree and I own it all day long. Problem is, the term “trophy hunt” means something different for everyone and can be very misleading and dishonest.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I don't. What is your point?
    Just find it strange you want reg changes etc yet dont hunt them. cant find any place to really educate your self, start with the regs it even says dont use age/annuli in the field to determine if legal.
    For some reason sheep are but on a pedistal which would make one think people would respect them more and make sure there legal but no seems more concerned about having to kill one.
    No different really then the 5 point bulls and smaller shot in 6 point season or 3 point and smaller bucks shot in 4 point season or even mulie does shot in whitetail season people just
    need to kill some thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with trophy hunting. Just pack out the meat. In reality, (and in the eyes of biologists and informed peoples) dead is dead and one critter or another will benefit from the carcass.
    yes the meat law was just put in there to apease others.