Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Re: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    This has nothing to do with covid, people have been shooting short or under age sheep for ever. No of both guide/outfitters doing it and residents, even watched
    a guy shoot a ram that was hunting with a ewe leh tag. Heck no one guy that has shot 2 short sheep, its a humans need to kill something problem and no
    real consequence if they do. Use to be the 8 year rule in the EK as well but it was taken away to many saying i thought it was 8, but short sheep are still
    being shot with the full curl rule.
    And you guys do realize the number is higher then 7 sheep can be inspected in any region.
    Agreed’ the 7 number only came out of 7B and it’ll only grow when all CI’s are tallied.
    And yeah, whether it was Covid or itchy feet from boredom more BC resident hunters have hit the northern sheep mountains the last 2 seasons……..not that I blame them.
    I beleive current harvest stats will back that up.

Change the punishment. Underaged or under length ram. 10 k and 5 years no sheep hunting It has to stop. We’re only killing our future. At this rate we’re looking at provincial wide leh. For a outfitter to get a ram confiscated is totally different. 100 k and that tag is no longer theirs. It’s not hard to tell when your looking at a big ram that he’s big. Oh he’s close. Joke definitely not a trophy sheep hunter and shouldn’t be hunting them in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    I think many don’t take time required and don’t know what to look for.
    I for one won’t shoot a sheep as I am not confident in aging one.

On another note, Rageous- could you respond to PMs on you for sale postings? I’ve sent you two over the past 2 months... if it’s sold, post it or let buyers know please!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Sheep are special. I have no problem with any hunter harvesting his limit but make sure what you're shooting is legal, if it's broomed and you want to count annuli make sure you see 10 to account for false annuli. Personally my sheep hunting partner and myself in our now retired sheep careers each took the 1st legal ram we were able to and after that passed up numerous legal rams and only took rams that were better than we already had. Between the 2 of us we never took more than one ram on a trip so we could legitimately bring out all the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    Change the punishment. Underaged or under length ram. 10 k and 5 years no sheep hunting It has to stop. We’re only killing our future. At this rate we’re looking at provincial wide leh. For a outfitter to get a ram confiscated is totally different. 100 k and that tag is no longer theirs. It’s not hard to tell when your looking at a big ram that he’s big. Oh he’s close. Joke definitely not a trophy sheep hunter and shouldn’t be hunting them in the first place
    that will only have more people ground check and walk away from a dead sheep. Its a lack of education, the hunters need to start being more responsible. Maybe you need to show that you've watched an educational video prior to buying a sheep tag for the first time...understanding how to age a sheep properly and understanding the negative impact harvesting immature rams can have on the population
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I don’t really think the “ground check and walk away” happens as much as guys who aren’t sheep hunters think. It only takes once or twice spotting someone where you think you are the only person for miles to make a guy realize that there are a lot of eyes out there and the country is wide open.
    But maybe I’m wrong there. Personally though, I don’t think it happens.

Well if there was a 10k fine like mentioned above I can't see anyone packing out the evidence.

I think a rule in place where you can only shoot one sheep every two years would help...makes people hold out for bigger rams hopefully. Or get rid of the 8 year old rule and add a 3/4 leh along with general full curl.

This is not a sustainability issue, this is an issue of uneducated or misunderstood Regulation, combined with a entitled to quick to judge response and shooting an underaged, short of FCurl Ram.

If in question, DONT SHOOT ! Wait for a Full Curl and be responsible enough to be POSITIVE it goes past the nose on Stones.
    Last edited by Imdone; 09-08-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    There already is a 1 Ram every 3 years if harvested over full Curl, but not 8 years of age.

This is not a sustainability issue, this is an issue of uneducated or misunderstood Regulation, combined with a entitled to quick to judge response and shooting an underaged, short of FCurl Ram.

If in question, DONT SHOOT ! Wait for a Full Curl and be responsible enough to be POSITIVE it goes past the nose on Stones.
    I’m reasonably certain you are incorrect there about 1 per 3 years…. Or at the very least, there isn’t with thinhorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    There already is a 1 Ram every 3 years if harvested over full Curl, but not 8 years of age.

This is not a sustainability issue, this is an issue of uneducated or misunderstood Regulation, ............
    agreed, by example . There is no such restriction on sheep in BC
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole