Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Re: Confiscated sheep in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by rageous View Post
    Stone sheep meat is delicious. Do you have a rather small freezer Mod7rem? It clearly may not matter to “certain individuals”. Do you see any difference between a hunter and poacher btw?
    Not sure what you mean by any of these questions. This thread isn't just about poachers, it’s about sheep hunters that had their rams confiscated for various reasons. Intent is important. If someone intends to break the rules, then yes I consider them a poacher. Sometimes things happen that are out of someone’s control and may put them on the wrong side of the rules. That doesn’t make them a poacher. That would cheapen the meaning of the word.
    What we always get with this topic is people’s idea of what they think is “ethical” when it comes to sheep hunting. I’m reading that you think more than one 8 year old ram on the wall would be unethical for you. I asked if there’s anything wrong with putting an 8 year old ram in the freezer every year. You imply that a rams value is whether it’s worthy of “the wall” or not and it plays right into the trophy hunt narrative. Not all rams go on a wall.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 09-04-2021 at 04:25 PM.

A couple of sheep were seized due to poaching.

https://energeticcity.ca/2021/08/18/...ee-day-patrol/

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    Im curious why you think there’s a problem with over harvest? What is that based on?

Also Dall sheep numbers in North America are estimated to be something like 6x that of Stones sheep. Why would one Dall sheep hunters success be a factor? Some people have the will, ability and possibly live in a location that allows them to hunt every year. Why would those things have any factor on management?

One thing I notice when I talk with new sheep hunters is how much it bothers them when they realize that there are lots of people willing to work just as hard as they are and they’re disappointed by the competition. Suggesting a management strategy that puts a harvest limit on the individual hunter, is usually brought up as a theoretical way to make it easier to get a mature ram. Mature rams are a small part of a sheep population. It also adds to the idea that sheep hunting meets all the negative things seen as “trophy hunting”.

Well said above.

You hear some say they are a once in lifetime. A hunter shouldn't take more than that.

First off, Stones and Dalls when managed properly they are very sustainable, with huntable populations.

If I lived in Ft.Nelson, John, any where up there, I'd have one heck of a lot more Ram hunts in my memory bank then I do. And I cherish them all. That said I live way closer to MD, WT, Elk and Moose and Goat, these make up most of my harvests. Over 50 years of them, and yes I might have 20 Rams on the wall, over the years, but realistically have not harmed the sustainability of the animals.

I will say one thing I've busted my arse for a very long time and appreciate every TROPHY as some call it, Spike bucks to FCurl Rams. They are all my trophies and ALL delicious .

If you can't pack it all out, don't pull the trigger.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Well said above.

You hear some say they are a once in lifetime. A hunter shouldn't take more than that.

First off, Stones and Dalls when managed properly they are very sustainable, with huntable populations.

If I lived in Ft.Nelson, John, any where up there, I'd have one heck of a lot more Ram hunts in my memory bank then I do. And I cherish them all. That said I live way closer to MD, WT, Elk and Moose and Goat, these make up most of my harvests. Over 50 years of them, and yes I might have 20 Rams on the wall, over the years, but realistically have not harmed the sustainability of the animals.

I will say one thing I've busted my arse for a very long time and appreciate every TROPHY as some call it, Spike bucks to FCurl Rams. They are all my trophies and ALL delicious .

If you can't pack it all out, don't pull the trigger.
    TWENTY rams?!? You gotta share some pics!! That's a seriously impressive number.
    I dont think i've ever seen a pic on this site of more than, maybe, 6 rams in one's "trophy room".

270 ......

Holy crap I wish lol the word MIGHT is in there ......

My point is if a hunter has harvested even dozens of one species or another, and is following regulations, and not affecting sustainability, why limit a hunter to one in a lifetime? That could work well for MD WT Deer Elk and Moose. One Pheasant, one Quail, where's that regulation get you. If your not affecting sustainability.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Lazy ignorant hunters shoot illegal animals all the time, whether it's the wrong species, not enough points, too many points... Whatever. I'm not sure why anyone would think the same wouldn't be true of sheep.

I've both seen and heard of it happening lots. 'I've climbed this mountain and damnit I'm going to shoot"something" '

The mountains have eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Driver View Post
    A couple of sheep were seized due to poaching.

https://energeticcity.ca/2021/08/18/...ee-day-patrol/
    "Officers also stopped a group of hunters and discovered two sheep heads and hides in their possession. The group was determined to have been poaching and were witnessed discarding the meat. "
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Where did you get these numbers from? That number of illegal rams for non residents seems much too high, when you consider the fact that most (all?) non residents must be guided by a professional guide.

I think guides do a pretty good job of game identification.
    total, for nrh and rh
    you're right guides do a great job, they have far more to loose if they don't get it right
    Last edited by boxhitch; 09-04-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    270 ......

Holy crap I wish lol the word MIGHT is in there ......

My point is if a hunter has harvested even dozens of one species or another, and is following regulations, and not affecting sustainability, why limit a hunter to one in a lifetime? That could work well for MD WT Deer Elk and Moose. One Pheasant, one Quail, where's that regulation get you. If your not affecting sustainability.
    Oh you were speaking hypothetically. Haha. My bad I'm a little slow today

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    We can all blame the COS for being heavy handed but this entire harvest of illegal rams falls back on who pulled the trigger.
    Covid put more BC resident sheep hunters on the mountain due to either more freed up time, the thought there’d be less competition from the outfitters or the fact that guys were sick of government Covid mandates and just wanted to get out.
    Last years sheep harvest was right in the ball park of a normal season with very few rams taken by the guides due to closed Borders.
    This year, starting a week before sheep season an army of sheep hunters headed in because they knew guides wouldn’t be there unless they’d booked a Canadian resident hunter for the sheep opener.
    With the confiscated Stone Sheeo, I was told by a credible source within the COS that the first 12 rams seized in Region 6 & 7B made up 50% of all rams CI’d at that time.
    This number will grow, rams will get dumped now because guys will get nervous and there’s most likely more young, short sheep ditched on a mountain due to ground shrinkage.
    Sheep regulations need to change, even if we don’t like it.
    The change is for the good of sheep populations.
    We can go on and on that the 8 year old full curl rule ensures that only a select number of mature rams are taken but that isn’t working real well in GOS areas that are in some instances probably looking at a 20% kill of immature rams.
    Stone sheep aren’t white tails and a change is needed.
    On the meat wastage, the majority of hunters do a first class job of bringing out meat but if you pay attention at any northern float base there’s always the ones that show up with a zip lock bag full of back straps along with the horns/antlers and the cape.
    Sometimes there’s a legit answer such as poor shot placement or a grizzly moved in.
    Then there’s the cold fact that manpower can only pack so much so far.
    As others have said, in the case of shot up meat or meat spoiled by scavengers a camera is your friend.
    Note the GPS coordinates as well in case you have to go back to the kill site with a CO to defend your case.
    Groups such as the Wild Sheep Society of BC have put on numerous seminars on aging rams, lack of education isn’t the issue…..in my opinion.
    The problem we are faced with is over competition for the sheep in the areas that are accessible by many of the fly in/walk in hunters.
    Most of them can only go so far.
    This has nothing to do with covid, people have been shooting short or under age sheep for ever. No of both guide/outfitters doing it and residents, even watched
    a guy shoot a ram that was hunting with a ewe leh tag. Heck no one guy that has shot 2 short sheep, its a humans need to kill something problem and no
    real consequence if they do. Use to be the 8 year rule in the EK as well but it was taken away to many saying i thought it was 8, but short sheep are still
    being shot with the full curl rule.
    And you guys do realize the number is higher then 7 sheep can be inspected in any region.
    Last edited by LBM; 09-05-2021 at 12:02 PM.