Thread: Sea duck hunting

Sea duck hunting

Living on the ocean now, Hornby Island, going to be tackling the sea duck situation. I’ve been here in winters and the ducks are all over in solid numbers from what I have seen so very excited to get started. Was down on the shoreline last night with the binos just out spotting and awaiting the arrival of the ducks. So far haven’t had any show up yet haha but I’ll be ready.

have lots of decoys, an open 16’ tin boat, and I love duck hunting so stay tuned for tons of diver action.

White winged scoters
    Black scoters
    surf scoters
    Longtails
    harlequins
    buffleheads
    goldeneyes
    Maybe some bluebills and ring necks will see but most looking forward to the big scoters longtails and harlies

Once they show up I’ll have weekly hunt reports, sightings, migration updates if anyone is interested.

also anyone out this way hunt divers?want to contribute a long line or two on a hunt. I could also trailer my set up not far ideally, if you got a good spot or local field to swap a puddle duck hunt near comox, Campbell river, qualicum

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sea duck hunting

Well went down to beach tonight. A dozen harlequins just arrived tonight

So no one hunts sea ducks??

Man you are making want to make a trip out there. I do like Hornby. I spent a handful of winters there with an old girlfriend. Nice place to shack up and read. If I was there I would be bugging you for a spot on your boat for sure.

I live in Bowser, have seen folks hunting sea ducks near the north end of Denman a couple times. There are some large flocks of Brant around too in the winter, not sure if they are open? Prawning and a duck hunt could make for a great day!

Unfortunately no brant season but starting to see some ducks show up slowly. Probably won’t get going good until late November after I’m done my mule deer hunting in interior

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Unfortunately no brant season but starting to see some ducks show up slowly. Probably won’t get going good until late November after I’m done my mule deer hunting in interior
    What about hunting blacktail on Hornby? I would assume you could get some good deer close to home...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    What about hunting blacktail on Hornby? I would assume you could get some good deer close to home...

ya the hunting is really too easy there and primarily all 2x bucks. all private land too. I have a few small properties on lockdown but I prefer to actually hunt them vs just shoot them. Also the locals on hornby are rampaging pit lampers. Everyone shoots 3-6 deer a year off the road at night so any decent buck gets shot quick, it’s really too bad but almost everyone I know is like oh ya deer shopping everyone just goes out and shoots whatever. Whenever they want. CO and police are 2 ferrries away so they don’t care.
    someone shot a nice buck in mid august

I got my first surf scoter tonight off the beach in Boundary Bay. I thought I shot a puffin at first the beak was so colorful