Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop the sheep hunt

stop the sheep hunt

I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: stop the sheep hunt

Bad news for the sheep..

hope they can rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Bad news for the sheep..

hope they can rebound.
    ^^^^^^^ Yes. And it is “everyone’s” responsibility to stop hunting if deemed necessary, not just the licensed.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

If I had a tag, I wouldn't hunt that herd right now.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

I think that's Zone F of 8-15, meaning 3 LEH tags tentatively authorized. No GOS as far as I can tell. I'm with Ltbullken - I wouldn't use an LEH if I had one. I'm pretty sure the majority of the membership of BCWF, WSS and BHA would line up the same way. With the way that herd got hit I think it's a long time before it's ever hunt able again.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Agree completely Rob,
    Been watching the remnants of this herd from my back porch with spotter for years.

Fraction of former size and quality, the big grey dom ram is still up but who knows for how long

This herd was doing extremely well showing continued growth with really good returns of young rams.

The only thing that seemed to change this year was the harvesting along the ridge from Morrissey to Stewart Creek (two woodlots sold and were levelled within weeks dead center of their territory)

seemed to drive the girls down into the grasslands earlier than typical (also drought year), maybe that is where these flies are concentrated

The flies are all over the Boundary from GF to Midway, have not observed them this concentration of them this bad, ever!

This really sucks, this has been a big project for GF local hunter club, both my kids participate in the yearly brush clean up and habitat improvement days

Hope the remainder of the herd can get back up to elevation and out of the bugs before it is too late

Count myself very lucky to have a herd of these beautiful animals in reach

Links

"Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Yes. And it is “everyone’s” responsibility to stop hunting if deemed necessary, not just the licensed.
    I feel like these kinds of comments only hurt the big picture. We need stronger relationships, less anagonism. It goes both ways 100% but we gotta start somewhere. I feel like the local FN made that statement bc they are on board not bc they want to secure something for themselves alone
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Folks,

We are hunters, BUT, we are Conservationists FIRST!!!
    The sheep up there took a shit kicking and are probably still going to take a bigger one.

Time we step up to the plate and practice what we preach.
    We arent Killers!

We hunt to ensure future generations of the species we pursue!
    Not to make them extinct.
    Bad shit happens, like is the case right now.
    So lets do our very best do do everything we can to ensure their health and that they can bounce back.
    Hunting is secondary and we need to let the public who doesnt hunt know that.

Definitely should be shut down. The struggling Caribou get special treatment as should this herd of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    I feel like these kinds of comments only hurt the big picture. We need stronger relationships, less anagonism. It goes both ways 100% but we gotta start somewhere. I feel like the local FN made that statement bc they are on board not bc they want to secure something for themselves alone
    What part of “everyone” can’t you phucking read dumbass!!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.