Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not so subject bow opener share your success

Not so subject bow opener share your success

Open request for for the story. From 1st-10th also mabey peoples 10th -15 th hunts no more politics seasons open whos doing well?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Not so subject bow opener share your success

Got my quiver loaded with 5 Bemans, 100gr G5's and red/green strobe nocturnal nocks

I've had my eye on a big body fork these last couple weeks. I know where he sleeps and where he beds. Most predictable of the bucks I've been watching. A bit skittish, but I know where to set up and a little patience I'll get him. Good chance he's down by 6-7pm tonight. Hopefully the bugs don't drive me too insane since he isn't near either of my blinds. Will report back Monday at the latest.

Not a success story YET, but it's in the works.

We are headed out to the EK on Saturday for 5 days of archery elk and the first 8 days of rifle. Cant wait. Hope the ones who were able to get at it yesterday are doing well. Looking forward to reading the accounts of peoples hunts.

I was out yesterday with my recurve. Spooked a grouse & saw some older sign, a few fresher tracks but no actual sighting of antlered critters. Will head out again today to another favourite location. Will be launching the canoe this time, see if I can sneak up on something near the water & spend some time in a tree stand. Fishing rods will come out too. I don't ever expect to get close enough for a clean shot though, 30 meters is about my limit with the recurve. Gorgeous weather to take advantage of now. Smoke is mostly gone around here. So quiet in most locations mid week!

Last edited by mike31154; 09-02-2021 at 10:29 AM.

^^^^Are you going to call a moose into that tree stand Mike? If the answer is yes then I think I speak for all of us: get video!
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

^^^^great pics Mike, I hunt with the same recurve as you....I will be going out for the last 2 days of elk bow only in reg 4 then onto elk 6 pt rifle season...

I spent last weekend up high. Many bears, a few does, and one marmot. No pointy sticks were flung.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    ^^^^Are you going to call a moose into that tree stand Mike? If the answer is yes then I think I speak for all of us: get video!
    No bow season for moose in that MU. Spikers in November, that's it. Don't have to call moose to that area, I've seen them a number of times at the edge of the lake the creek under the tree stand feeds into.

No antlered critters spotted on my trip today. Waterfowl, heron & osprey. I did come home with a couple nice Brook trout. Was an excellent day for a paddle. Didn't spend much time in the tree stand. Went for a short hike on the other side of the creek after crossing a beaver dam. It was pretty marshy.

Last week while fishing the lake a cow went for a swim. I sat in the bottom of the canoe & slowly drifted towards her. Seems something up the creek spooked her as she bolted after looking back that way. She was a beauty, magnificent. Link to video.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnSUkGQbfhWgguUzJsIEVbBEJ830ng
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-02-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Well dang. I guess I jinxed it going in thinking it was a gimmie.

The bucks I've been watching just didn't seem to be around. Only saw 3 does and a fawn. No bucks, not even a bear on the cams over the last week.

Had a great time and got a lot of good excercise creeping all over the timber. Since I wasn't seeing any bucks, I ended up venturing further up the mountain. Found some benches with insane trails and beds that I'm interested in learning how and when they are used, enough that I hiked up there a second time to relocate a trailcam.

Looks like they might make us work for it this season. Last season seemed way too easy.

Well, bring on rifle season!

Same story here although my partner had an excellent chance on a nice tall 4pt in velvet. He forgot his release in the truck and didn't realize it until he went to draw on the buck at 35 yards. Poor guy. He's been in the dumps the last few days.

Saw a few bears. One was a giant dark chocolate boar but he was way up high tucked onto a nice rock ledge having a nap. We could have stalked in on him but we were focused on mulies. Seen a few spikers and does but nothing big except that one 4pt.

Usually see multiple bucks daily but not this year so far.
    WSSBC
    CCFR