Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor vehicle restriction, what am I missing?

Motor vehicle restriction, what am I missing?

So, I’d just like some clarification from someone that hunts the peace or lives around tumbler ridge.

reading through the regs it lists a bunch of zones that are a no go for ATV or motorbike for anything to do with hunting, fair enough.. but those same zones ALSO have a motor vehicle closure, firstly wouldn’t that closure have also included ATVs anyways? And secondly, how does one even hunt the zone if you can’t use a motor vehicle anywhere? How do you get to the Rec site you’d use as a base camp? Park on the outskirts of the MU and hike in?

probably a stupid question, but first time we are coming up potential vehicle closures, we were going to haul the quads up but have no problem leaving them at home if it opens up the options for us to hunt, both of our local spots burnt really badly so it’s forcing us elsewhere like many others, we are heading up around tumbler from the 8th of sept- October 4th five or take. So we just want to be sure we have all our ducks in a row so to speak..

also being the AG zone up there, looking at IHunter it looks like about 90 percent or more of some of the MUs are private, I imagine you have to somehow know the owners contact information to get permission to hunt these MUs or you might as well be pissing in the wind?

gladly will adjust our plans to accommodate we just don’t want to head somewhere have the wrong idea and be in for a rude awakening after driving 1200km.

Anyone local to the area and can weigh in?

thanks !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Motor vehicle restriction, what am I missing?

Some of the ag zone has practically no elk till later in the season, aren't those atv/motorvehicle zones in high country or to keep people away from cariboo? Don't look to hunt private, just hunt crown that borders on private.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Some of the ag zone has practically no elk till later in the season, aren't those atv/motorvehicle zones in high country or to keep people away from cariboo? Don't look to hunt private, just hunt crown that borders on private.
    from my understanding it’s no motor vehicle and no ATV in the zone with the exception of snow mobile after November 1 at certain elevations. So, how on earth do I get all my stuff to a camp site in one of those MUs ?

Is there a fsr that goes through the area? I’ve seen areas where the main fsr is open but you can’t go anywhere off the fsr

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Is there a fsr that goes through the area? I’ve seen areas where the main fsr is open but you can’t go anywhere off the fsr
    really hoping one of the locals or someone that’s hunted there will chime in and help out, I don’t want to assume that’s the case and drive 12 hours and scramble to make a new plan.

thanks everyone for the input so far every little bit helps.

Motorized vehicles are prohibited above 1400 metres elevation and on certain roads. That's to ensue hunters are not operating their motorized vehicles in alpine areas. It's sensitive caribou habitat. Take a look on page 79 right in the middle of the page. It shows the specifics for each MU. What zone do you want to hunt in?
    Last edited by 375shooter; 09-01-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

You are confusing the Symbol Key with the actual closures for specific WMUs. Look at page 79 and pay attention to what is closed in 7-21 and 7-22. The only place in the region that has vast motorized vehicle restrictions with the exception of a few corridors and snow machines in the winter is in the Muskwa-Kechika Management Area, which is further north.

There are more recent access restrictions due to the fires near Tumbler Ridge.

I BET Sitkaspruce will Know ! RJ

Have luckily received a lot of good information from a couple members that I greatly appreciate !
    even more so on pointing out that I’m likely misreading that section of the regulations, which is music to my ears.

Best part about going up there is that even if I eat tag soup, I’ll still be thrilled to explore the country! And I can’t wait to get my hook into some northern pike again, fishing for those and Muskie are the things I miss most about home!

if anyone else has anything to contribute I’m all ears ! Would even like to hear places to avoid if there’s any, for any reason.