Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questionable water from spring - Drink it or filter it?

Re: Questionable water from spring - Drink it or filter it?

i buy water purification tablets from MEC that contain no idodine and no chlorine.

I don't find the taste of water tainted at all, but a hunting partner said he can notice it. Worth a try, as it's a great peace of mind and you might not even notice them, like i don't.

They cost only a few bucks at MEC and come in a blue package. I don't leave home without them last few years. Much more lightweight than a water filter.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    i buy water purification tablets from MEC that contain no idodine and no chlorine.

I don't find the taste of water tainted at all, but a hunting partner said he can notice it. Worth a try, as it's a great peace of mind and you might not even notice them, like i don't.

They cost only a few bucks at MEC and come in a blue package. I don't leave home without them last few years. Much more lightweight than a water filter.
    Chlorine and iodine have a low effectiveness in killing Giardia and are not effective in killing Cryptosporidium. Chlorine dioxide has a high effectiveness in killing Giardia and a low to moderate effectiveness in killing Cryptosporidium

Whats the active ingredient in what you’re using?

Iodine and chlorine are a false sense of security. If you’re going to use one thing, a filter is probably the best option
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

If you've got the filter, filter it. I've drunk lots of unfiltered water from here to Panama and survived, but I've had beaver fever a couple times (and probably other shit), so....yeah, if you've got the filter, use it.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I was just listening to a podcast talking about cross contamination on your water filter. You finish filtering and stuff your filter back in its bag. The clean hose touches the hose that was dipped in the water and spreads the beaver fever! The next time you put the now contaminated hose into your clean bottle! Never thought about that before!

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Chlorine and iodine have a low effectiveness in killing Giardia and are not effective in killing Cryptosporidium. Chlorine dioxide has a high effectiveness in killing Giardia and a low to moderate effectiveness in killing Cryptosporidium

Whats the active ingredient in what you’re using?

Iodine and chlorine are a false sense of security. If you’re going to use one thing, a filter is probably the best option
    I said it does NOT contain chlorine or iodine.
    It contains sodium dichloroisocyanurate.

It's fine for giardia, but also not a high effectiveness for Cryptosporidium.

I don't think crypto is much of a concern in the backcountry areas I frequent anyways.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 09-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.